Ficus Nerifolia - Progression

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Ficus Nerifolia - Progression

Post by jezz_39 »

I picked up this Willow Leaf Fig a few months ago. I don't have any photos as purchased but its heading in a similar direction.
It had a rock wedged in the roots but was loose, I decided to keep the rock, flipping until it was a more snug fit and strapped a long root tight against it. Hopefully it sets in place, if not i'll do a little surgery to encourage new roots which will 'stick' more easily.

I consider this to be a leaning/semi cascade. When I first styled it I considered the lower branch would be controversial and may not end up in the final design. Now the tree has filled out, in my eye it fits. Would love other opinions, as perhaps later down the road when more ramification is achieved, it may block out the view of the rock/base... :lost:
At the moment im letting most of the tree run a bit through winter, come spring time there will be more branch selection and re-wiring etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: Ficus Nerifolia - Progression

Post by Neli »

Nice little fig.
If you are going for semicascade I would not keep the lowest branch. Try to lower the next branch on the left and the first on the right.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thankyou for the feedback, Neli. I will keep the first branch until things become a little clearer. I think what im going for is not quite a semi cascade in the classical sense. The first branch on the right will eventually reach the rim of the pot, but will not go lower. And yes, the second branch on the left will be wired down this spring.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Got around to giving this one a little tidy up and re-wire. Unwanted shoots removed, strong growth nipped back and defoliated. I'm still keeping the bottom branch for now but can see it coming off in future, the first right hand branch needs to extend and come down a bit more. Overall im quite happy with this tree, to my eye it looks ok in the flesh but going by the photos the apex seems to tall, or it could benefit from a heavier bend to compress it. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

Personally I would reconsider the choice to grow this tree as a semi-cascade, as it is already growing as quite an acceptable informal upright.
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Passing by old threads and thought i'd update this one. I ended up keeping the trunk more upright than I originally intended, the photo was taken in February after a trim. The roots have grown over the years and are pressing into the rock, the base does bother me in that it is shaped like a ball. I may have to get creative and jam another larger rock on the left hand side somewhere :lost:
Regards,
Jeremy
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Thanks for the update.
You could always consider a layer or root grafts to change the Nebari structure / dimenstion.

My 2c is that I preferred this tree in it's smaller (not taller) sillhouette.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

You are right about the apex, Boics. It looks ok in full leaf but when the structure is exposed the top section is beginning to outgrow the design. When things warm up again I will chop it back, the red line is probably where the finished height should be :lost:
Regards,
Jeremy
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

The cot back will be nice, how come you cannot do now on the the Sunny coast?
I have figs actively growing in Sydney now! :shock:

ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

I can cut, defoliate, and repot now if I want to, doesn't mean I should lol
I think I generally find they bounce back quicker and more vigorously during spring and summer, and I feel more satisfied utilising that type of growth. Our winters are also becoming increasingly wetter than summer, I find the Willow Leaf slows down the most in winter, and occasionally acts semi deciduous. I repotted this tree a month after the photo was taken, in March. It grew enough to now have a full canopy, but no shoots had long extensions. I just prefer to wait until its showing signs of vigour, that way I know the back budding will be predictable
Regards,
Jeremy

Return to “Tropical”