view of backyard

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: view of backyard

Post by fredman »

WOW that is spectacular. That is the reason I do Bonsai. To have garden like that some day. Oh well only 30 years to go :o
Congratulations Mate. Very well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

Figs and junipers?... What a combination! Must be located in a well balanced climate for both, yet I wasn't sure there was one.[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] great looking garden. Very neat; makes your bonsai the focal point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

Beautiful garden and trees.
What species of ficus are you using?
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Just.... wow....
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

Over the 30 years I have been doing bonsai I have been through the stage of having a backyard full of foam boxes and plastic pots full of immature figs. Then to progress to potting them up into bonsai pots ( way to early) I have roughly 50 figs in my collection at the moment with only about 4 in training pots. Some trees spent 20 years in training pots before they graduated to bonsai pots. The collection has had many ups and downs over the years a few neglectfull years and many culls ( to get to my 50 figs I would have gone through at least that many that just did not work out) I never really consider any of my figs Finished, all are a work in progress. They have all been through many incarnations to finally arrive at there present forms.

Steve B wrote:Awesome collection. Plenty of trees in there well worthy of their own post and explanation in here, if you actually had the time to spare to do it....

The proportion of advanced (or dare I say it finished!!) trees to those in development is the bit that does my head in (or is there another spot nearby littered with foam boxes and tortured trees like my back yard? :D ). To get that many quality trees, it would be interesting to know how many must have been worked on and developed over the 25 - 30 year period? My current thinking its a 1:10 ratio, on the basis its a lot worse when we first start up and it should improves a bonsai skills and selection ability improves over time. I'd like to think I can get to 20 presentable trees (not necessarily show quality) in 10 years or so, but the numbers (or my twisted logic anyway) imply thats a lot of backyard currently taken up with projects that are FAR from presentable (the other half only too happy to point this out as I start on a new victim). Your shots give me a lot of motivation that I could get there yet!! Much appreciated for taking the time to post them. :clap:
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

As far as I know they are all Queensland Small Leaf Figs, Ficus Eugenoides

trident76 wrote:Beautiful garden and trees.
What species of ficus are you using?
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

Thanks everyone for commenting
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Oh my my what a wonderful display. A total inspiration. One day we can only hope and dream to have a display like that. An absolute credit to you. Thank you.
Cheers Rod
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi BB50
I can only say wow :clap: :clap: Thank you for sharing, your garden is an inspiration to all , especially us starting out
regards
peterb

Return to “Tropical”