New Natal Fig

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

New Natal Fig

Post by PeterW »

Found a nice Natal Fig (hope that spelling and species is correct) needs some thickening but might make something in a few years maybe. Probably plant it out for 2 years or so. Does anybody have expierience with growing this species, its my first.
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: New Natal Fig

Post by anttal63 »

has a very nice stance on it peter im sure in your hands it will come up trumps. :D
Regards Antonio:
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Very graceful movement in the trunk, I'm looking forwards to seeing progress shots of this beauty! Where did you find it?
S.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Ficus for the Temperate climate by Hoy leong Kwong on Pages 61- 132- 154-182. Ficus natalensis.
Quite a fast growing fig develop quickly , with the right techniques. Gross feeders. I do not like the upward habit of growth. Got rid of mine.
Last edited by Pup on November 30th, 2008, 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

AusBonsai wrote:Very graceful movement in the trunk, I'm looking forwards to seeing progress shots of this beauty! Where did you find it?
S.
I got it at Bonsai Northside Nursery at Morayfield Steven. I am going to put it in the ground for a year or two first.
Peter
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Peter.
It might be better (more controlable) growing in a foam box or 1/2 44gallon drum if what Pup says abut fast growth.
Penny.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

mudlarkpottery wrote:Hi Peter.
It might be better (more controlable) growing in a foam box or 1/2 44gallon drum if what Pup says abut fast growth.
Penny.
Yes maybe Penny, most figs have got a fast growth habit though. I feed mine fortnightly as well as leave a few pellets of Dynamic lifter on the surface and slow release in the mix, so all of mine grow very quickly anyway. If this species grows quicker, yipee...i will have a nicer tree sooner!
Peter
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Hi Peter, A google search does not seem to bring up much info on this species and I have never worked on one. I remember that there was a good article in one of the Bonsai Today issues done by a South African guy who raved about them and had quite a few in his collection. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Jon
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Jon Chown wrote:Hi Peter, A google search does not seem to bring up much info on this species and I have never worked on one. I remember that there was a good article in one of the Bonsai Today issues done by a South African guy who raved about them and had quite a few in his collection. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Jon
Thanks Jon, i havent had much time to look into them yet, thanks very much for that Jon
Regards
Peter
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Speaking of diging it up, Peter, you are a glutton for punishment if you put that one in the ground.
Penny.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

mudlarkpottery wrote:Speaking of diging it up, Peter, you are a glutton for punishment if you put that one in the ground.
Penny.
It hasnt got enough size in the trunk for the height of the tree and i dont want to turn it into another wee little tree....i am in no great hurry with any of my trees and i think that a few years in the ground would make for a much better proportioned tree in the long term. However i do agree with you....i am a glutton for punishment! I keep saying that i want to reduce the number of larger trees i have and increase the number of small trees.....however they BOTH keep increasing....dont figure... :D
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

I was going to buy one a few years ago and two professional bonsai growers said the same thing to me: "Be careful of them. They have a nasty habit of throwing away brances for no apparent reason."

I heeded that advice. Still don't have one.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Hector Johnson wrote:I was going to buy one a few years ago and two professional bonsai growers said the same thing to me: "Be careful of them. They have a nasty habit of throwing away brances for no apparent reason."

I heeded that advice. Still don't have one.
I looked into why they do this recently. The reason i was given is you must repot them every year or they will drop branches.
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

That makes sense, Peter.

Try growing it in a 45litre bag/pot on a couple of bricks. If the roots get into the ground then a sabre saw makes short work of them when it's time to repot.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

PeterW wrote: I looked into why they do this recently. The reason i was given is you must repot them every year or they will drop branches.
Peter

That's not a reason, its a solution. Did they tell you why they drop if you don't repot every two years?
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Tropical”