Winter Is Coming..

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Winter Is Coming..

Post by Pearcy001 »

So while I'm not watching Game of Thrones this winter I'm going to be looking after my Bonsai. I was just wondering about peoples thoughts on keeping their figs warm over the cooler months. It's going to max out at 17 degrees in Melbourne this afternoon (and will only get much cooler in the coming months) and I know the poor little guys can't be enjoying it outside. I've only got two in my collection and had some spare bubble wrap laying around so I decided to wrap up their base to attempt to keep off some of the wind chill.
My question is, will this even help or could it even possibly have adverse effects?

Cheers,
Pearcy.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 27th, 2015, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Winter Is Coming..

Post by Pearcy001 »

FYI. I have not misted under the bubble wrap as yet although I'm sure that would help with humidity as long as it is aired out at times to avoid any root rot.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 27th, 2015, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Should you also be protecting the leaves as they may get damaged as well?

Maybe make/buy a mini greenhouse?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/ga ... shadehouse
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Scooter_M »

I have some good fortune with some large windows in a corner of a east/north facing corner of my house. I bring my figs inside for the colder months. My wife is big on fresh air and loves plants also so we always have some windows open. It still get some cooler air from outside and they survive ok "indoors" due to the openess of the windows, but is protected from the chilly southerly winds, and its always 5-10 degrees warmer inside.

I actually only just bought them in about 2 days ago with this cold front we just got in melbourne
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

I only have One Fig and It seems happy to be left outside all winter. I used to keep it against a external wall during winter as [minimal] frost protection but haven't even bothered doing that the last two years. Still alive and healthy. :fc:
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Put it back outside!!!
Maybe move to a sheltered spot but if it's been grown in VIC and grown up in VIc it should be fine!
Half way down this page is an appropriate read.
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Figs outdoors are fine in a Melbourne winter* Unless you're in an area that gets frosts - that will burn their leaves. Generally in the burbs you shouldn't have a problem, but if a frost looks likely just pop them under cover over night. Melbourne winters are not like Europe or parts of the US that snow and actually freeze pots solid, so I don't see the need for bubble wrap. A green house environment may assist in keeping figs active/growing over winter (though air circulation may be an issue), but outdoors they will just slow down and become semi-dormant. They still need sun, natural air circulation and water. Also, to avoid root rot, make sure that the soil doesn't become water logged, a free draining mix helps a lot with this - though probably too late to repot this season.

:tu: :tu:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Thanks all for the advice! The article Isitangus posted really made it sink in.
Isitangus wrote:Put it back outside!!!
Maybe move to a sheltered spot but if it's been grown in VIC and grown up in VIc it should be fine!
Half way down this page is an appropriate read.
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason I'm more then happy to condition my trees to a 40 degree day in summer but scared of them in the cold (go figure?). I think it was more the fact that they are a tropical species out of their natural environment. One of the figs was obtained from Deniliquin on the Vic/NSW boarder late 2014 but I don't believe the temperatures would be too drastically different. The main problem I had was I live on the beach so I receive strong cold northerly winds in the cooler months, they were still to be kept outside just with the wrap on. In my noob worries I thought they would struggle with constant temps below 16 degrees.

Thanks all,
Pearcy.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 27th, 2015, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It gets a fair bit colder up here than anywhere in Melbourne. One year min reached -7 and all the figs in the shadehouse were burnt to soil level but sprouted again the following spring. To me this means that protecting the trunk and branches is far more important than protecting the pot. Mine currently live in an unheated poly tunnel all year round. Temps get down to around 1C and occasionally dip to 0 with no fig damage.
In Canberra where it gets even colder most growers take figs inside for the winter - Laundry or bathroom seem to be good spots because they are not heated or air conditioned. Also easy to water without making a mess of the carpet when the pots are in the bathtub. I think because figs are rainforest species they can tolerate lower light levels and less air movement than temperate species. When you look at other successful indoor plants they are nearly all from subtropical rainforest areas.

Jim Webb was an experienced bonsai grower and was convinced that an annual dressing of dolomite in autumn made figs more frost hardy. Another cropping frost expert confirmed that Mg in plant cells does help protect plant cells from freezing so I guess a dolomite dressing would not hurt either.

In most areas of Melbourne figs will be fine with just overhead protection (verandah, etc).
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Pearcy001 wrote: In my noob worries I thought they would struggle with constant temps below 16 degrees.

Thanks all,
Pearcy.
I assume you are Williamstown north of Newcastle?

If so I would expect your Ficus to grow year round there. Mine here in western Sydney get down to 1-2 Deg in the mornings, but the coldest Midday temps they would see are about 10 Deg in the depths of winter.
I see growth on all of my Ficus continually through winter, so would expect yours to be the same or even better.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium

Post by Jarad »

kcpoole wrote:
Pearcy001 wrote: In my noob worries I thought they would struggle with constant temps below 16 degrees.

Thanks all,
Pearcy.

If so I would expect your Ficus to grow year round there. Mine here in western Sydney get down to 1-2 Deg in the mornings, but the coldest Midday temps they would see are about 10 Deg in the depths of winter.
I see growth on all of my Ficus continually through winter, so would expect yours to be the same or even better.

Ken
Hey Ken,

Williamtown in in NSW Williamstown is in VIC. I'm assuming the Victorians wanted to emphasize Williams ownership of the town (they're all strange south of the border) :whistle:
Last edited by Jarad on March 27th, 2015, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

The "S" is for the literate. ;)
irish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Wagga Wagga Bonsai Club

Post by irish »

Hello.

I am in Junee NSW. Winter is cold here -2c. I have two Port Jackson Figs. One that is 6 years old, and in a 10 inch plastic pot. The other is a root over rock, three years old, in a styefome (spelling) box. Mine go in side every night, if I think it's going to be a half decadent day thay go out side, to full sun. I go to work at 8am and Finnish at 4 pm. As soon as I finnish work, 4:15pm, I take them in side.

Thay can stand a slight frost, but not two or three nights. :shake:

Cheers.
Irish Junee. :aussie:
One Day i will know something, but most likely it will be to do with nothing.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Jarad wrote:
kcpoole wrote:

Thanks all,
Pearcy.

Ken
Hey Ken,

Williamtown in in NSW Williamstown is in VIC. I'm assuming the Victorians wanted to emphasize Williams ownership of the town (they're all strange south of the border) :whistle:
Whoopsie :-) Ok just made another Ass of myself methinks :lol: :lol:
Anyhoo, if Williams owns the town, that should not there be an apostrophe after the s :?: :?:

See Pearcy, us in gods own country ( ie Sydney :lol: :lol: ), do practice the good Queens english :-) (I probably just offended all the republicans there so sorry :lol: :lol: )

Now gettign back to figs, if your temps do not get below zero at any time and no frosts, then no need to mollycoddle a good ficus

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Thanks guys great to know!

Haha Ken, I was quite drunk when I wrote that.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 28th, 2015, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tropical”