help!! There's something wrong with my fig!!

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

help!! There's something wrong with my fig!!

Post by Tim.C »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I collected two unknown figs off two bridges about a week ago, and one of them is not looking too good. It's leaves are curling up and are dropping off fast.

The two trees were collected at the same time, and from side by side bridges. One north bound, one South. (About 15-20m apart). They were both on the eastern sides of the bridges, and were potted about 20mins after collecting. They are both in the same medium, (30/30/30 peat/coarse sand/diatomite, with the remaining 10% zeolite and vermiculite). The only difference is one came high on the bridge, (the bald one), and one was growing lower where a chunk of concrete was missing, so had a better root system growing in almost a natural bonsai pot. (Hence growing in the saucer). No roots were trimmed once home, and they both had lots. They both had about a third top growth trimmed after potted, and a weak dose of seasol straight after potting, and two days later.

The fig in the saucer seems to be doing fine, but the other one...... Not so good. I got home from work two days ago to find about a third of its leaves sitting on top of the tub. I cleaned the leaves out of tub, and thought I'd better keep an eye on it.

Yesterday I got home from work to find the same thing. So cleaned the leaves out again.

Today I got home from work and it would be lucky to have a dozen leaves left on it.

It's not waterlogged, and hasn't dried out completely, and not getting full sun either. (Filtered sun through a six foot fence with 20mm gaps between palings). I haven't seen any bugs or grubs around it either. (But I'm at work from sun up til 4pm). And doesn't appear to be aphids or scale either. (I am fighting scale on one of my orchids close by). There are several other figs of varied species in the same garden and this is the only one doing this.

Does anybody know what might be wrong with it? and how to fix the problem? I would imagine there won't be a single leaf left on it tomorrow. Any advice would be helpful.

Tim

P.S. Sorry for the poor photos and the double up. Don't know why they doubled up. They were only attached once. The iPhone must have had another brain fart. It's not what I would call a smart phone, but all I've got at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tim.C on April 16th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Re: help!! There's something wrong with my fig!!

Post by CraigM »

Not 100% certain, but recall figs dropping leaves / yellowing when under stress / moved, believe this is done as some sort of defence mechanism. Would let the trees rest and recover and watch the watering for now, as the trees won't be consuming a lot. Perhaps covering with plastic and creating humidity would help.

Let's see what others think...
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

CraigM wrote:Not 100% certain, but recall figs dropping leaves / yellowing when under stress / moved, believe this is done as some sort of defence mechanism. Would let the trees rest and recover and watch the watering for now, as the trees won't be consuming a lot. Perhaps covering with plastic and creating humidity would help.

Let's see what others think...
I can put it in my greenhouse with my orchids, but the leaves aren't even turning yellow. They're dropping off green. Half of them are curled up length ways tho.

Tim
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

They look like benji's and they are known to drop their leaves after repotting or stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Isitangus wrote:They look like benji's and they are known to drop their leaves after repotting or stress.

My first thoughts were benjis too, but I didn't think benjis would produce viable seed being non native. (Still learning). It's the leaf curling, and it dropped so many leaves so quickly, while the other didn't that had me a bit worried. It still had about a dozen leaves this morning, all wrapped up like little scrolls. If they're benjis, that has me less worried.

Seeing it has dropped its leaves, do you think it would hurt to trunk chop it?, or let it recover more first? Haven't trunk chopped anything yet.

Tim
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Post by Ent »

Hi Tim C,

Benji's are native and these looked stressed from the move. I have found them to be much more temporamemtal than other fig species. Sounds like you are doing the right things, misting the leaves may help. Time will tell, good luck.

Ent
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Ent wrote:Hi Tim C,

Benji's are native and these looked stressed from the move. I have found them to be much more temporamemtal than other fig species. Sounds like you are doing the right things, misting the leaves may help. Time will tell, good luck.

Ent
Well..... Shows how much I know. I didn't know they're native. You learn something new every day.

I generally give the leaves a good water when I water the plants. That's become a bit more difficult with this one tho. It's running out of leaves to mist. I might move it near the shadehouse when I get home. The sprinkler comes on several times a day, a couple minutes at a time, and it'll get the mist coming out the side without overwatering the roots. The only thing is, it will get a bit more direct afternoon sun. Only an hour or two tho.

Tim
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

For figs doesn't more Sun = more growth?

I was under the impression that the more Sun and fertilizer they get, the healthier they will be.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Hi Jarad,
I'm new to growing trees, (except fruit trees), and from what I've gathered thru trial and error, is you a correct. I have about a dozen figs of various species growing in full sun, under an inch of chook poo (my chickens give me more than I can use), and they're loving it, but I've noticed they recover better after transplanting in filtered sun for a few weeks over straight back into full sun. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm sort of winging it and learning from mistakes, (and dead trees). Any advice is welcome.

Tim
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

I would let it recover before you trunk chop.
I had a forest and they all dropped they're leaves, sulked for a while then came back.
Sounds like your treating it right so keep it up and should pull through.

Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jarad »

Tim.C wrote:Hi Jarad,
I'm new to growing trees, (except fruit trees), and from what I've gathered thru trial and error, is you a correct. I have about a dozen figs of various species growing in full sun, under an inch of chook poo (my chickens give me more than I can use), and they're loving it, but I've noticed they recover better after transplanting in filtered sun for a few weeks over straight back into full sun. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm sort of winging it and learning from mistakes, (and dead trees). Any advice is welcome.

Tim
Best way to learn man!

Have you read this gem started by Elmar:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19288&hilit=tongue+in+cheek
-Jarad

Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

I like that thread.
kevBatts
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kevBatts »

Perhaps the problem may have been the strength of the Seasol. I have used Seasol and thought that I had diluted the mixture well, but most plants that I had used it on did the same by dropping leaves. Took a little while to recover but all is good now. Just a thought. Good luck, regards Kev
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I've always heard that needing to use seasol at half strength is a myth and have always used at full strength :confused:
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jarad »

kevBatts wrote:Perhaps the problem may have been the strength of the Seasol. I have used Seasol and thought that I had diluted the mixture well, but most plants that I had used it on did the same by dropping leaves. Took a little while to recover but all is good now. Just a thought. Good luck, regards Kev
Did you happen to use the seasol on deciduous trees during Autumn...? :lol:
-Jarad

Return to “Tropical”