Adenium Seedlings

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
C8lyn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Adenium Seedlings

Post by C8lyn »

Picked up these babies today. I love the flowers they produce and they're so interesting to look at.
I have been doing some research on how to prune them, but I haven't yet seen any info regarding how to develop the nebari. I've got time I guess, haha.
20160117_140757.jpg
20160117_140722.jpg
20160117_140740.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Adenium Seedlings

Post by srini »

I'd put them in pots a good few sizes larger than those if you are looking to build a solid nebari.
hard1all
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wrightia religiosa
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Penjing Australia

Post by hard1all »

Adeniums prefer to be pot-bound so I'd leave them in those pots.

Also, larger pots are more likely to hold moisture and that leads to the mortal enemy of Adeniums in other than tropical climates - rot!

The time to prune the branches back was September/October so leave that now until later this year. If you cut a branch back to a short stub you will get new shoots forming around the edge of the stub.

The Adenium version of a nebari is achieved by slowly raising the tree to show off the thickening root base every time you re-pot.

Good luck!
Last edited by hard1all on January 18th, 2016, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by srini »

In a good free draining mix with a good feeding regime they will outgrow those pots in no time. Depends if you are after a mame size tree I guess.
C8lyn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by C8lyn »

srini wrote:In a good free draining mix with a good feeding regime they will outgrow those pots in no time. Depends if you are after a mame size tree I guess.
srini wrote:I'd put them in pots a good few sizes larger than those if you are looking to build a solid nebari.
They will get new pots at some point. I just had these ones already and I'm so glad I get to use them. hahaha. Don't they just look adorable?? :lol:
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by srini »

gotta agree with you there, they do look cute.
C8lyn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by C8lyn »

Well... it's been 3 and a half years since I last posted here. I'm currently organising some photos so I can post updates.
My adeniums are the only plants I still have from when I was last here but I have started accumulating plants again. I've been spending more time at nurseries due to having our own house and searching for landscaping ideas.
Can't wait to show you my fat bottomed girls.

Return to “Tropical”