Fixing/removing deadwood on F. rubiginosa

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Fixing/removing deadwood on F. rubiginosa

Post by sheepdawg »

I got this fig awhile back:

It caught me eye because it was only $20 and I think it has great potential for a banyan style. I potted it up and cut the top of the dead bit off, and I'm now letting it grow with the hopes that the deadwood will eventually get covered/swallowed up.

I was recently given a dremel, so now I'm considering carving it out and saving myself some time. I have never used one, so I'm a bit apprehensive because I don't want to destroy the plant. I'll definitely practice on some scrap wood before doing anything. What does everyone recommend? Should I just let it grow out or will carving the deadwood away help in the long-run?

Also to begin its development into a bonsai, I'll need to cut the 3 long branches back. How far do you recommend cutting them back? And when can I do this? Would this winter be okay if the deadwood is taken care of? Or should I wait for spring/summer?
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Re: Fixing/removing deadwood on F. rubiginosa

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings, if it were my tree, I would remove the dead wood. I would also check what is happening in the soil. Trunk taper and root position is critical for a positive result. The aerial roots also need special attention. Feed to thicken branches and keep as many leaves on until spring. Always leave at least one leaf on a branch when you decide to trim. Don't let it freeze. Good luck, happy bonsai, Bruce.
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

I'm not sure if carving the deadwood is the answer for figs. It seems the deadwood deteriorates quickly compared to deadwood on conifers.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

bonsaibruce wrote:Greetings, if it were my tree, I would remove the dead wood. I would also check what is happening in the soil. Trunk taper and root position is critical for a positive result. The aerial roots also need special attention. Feed to thicken branches and keep as many leaves on until spring. Always leave at least one leaf on a branch when you decide to trim. Don't let it freeze. Good luck, happy bonsai, Bruce.
Thanks Bruce. I repotted it after I got it (sometime in summer), so the soil should be fine. And also untangled all the aerial roots and positioned them so they are straight :tu:
It's currently wrapped up in sphagnum moss too because humidity isn't ideal for aerial roots here and I want them to thicken up and mature without risk of dying.

I've never heard of that leaving a leaf on a trimmed branch except for F. benjamina.
Brian wrote:I'm not sure if carving the deadwood is the answer for figs. It seems the deadwood deteriorates quickly compared to deadwood on conifers.
When I say carving, I mean carve away to remove it completely. Not sure if this deadwood is fig though, because it was from the plant sitting next to it in the nursery. It makes the whole thing kinda ugly, so I really want it gone. My thinking is to reduce it in size/volume as much as possible, then let free growth cover up what's left. Then after it's hidden, I'll chop the long leaders down and let it develop from there
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

Here's basically what I want to do:

The white is where the deadwood is that I want to remove (i.e. carve away slowly with the dremel). The red lines are approximately where I will perform cuts eventually, but only after the deadwood is completely hidden from view. Is this too high/low? And can I perform cuts like these in spring? Since I'm not touching the roots, I would think I could perform this cut in winter (if minimums aren't below say 10). Is this correct? Or is this a major blow to the plant?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with reducing the remaining deadwood so the living wood will cover over quicker. I would just cut it back to leave a nice slope from base of right leader to base of left leader but it probably won't matter much because these grow so quickly and thicken even quicker. Seal the resulting cut so it will heal quicker.
As this is rubiginosa I would feed it well over winter then cut back both the top and roots when it starts to warm up in spring (November here but probably October elsewhere). I believe it gets cool in Toowoomba so I would not cut figs this time of year. Maybe if it doesn't go below 10C you could get away with it??? Nothern growers will know better. Down here I would not trim figs now.
The right leader looks like the higher one and so the main trunk. It should end up a little longer than the minor trunk (left) so maybe leave it a little longer and make the left one slightly shorter. I would make cuts like this in 1 go. No need lo leave any foliage. These bud back well on any older wood in my experience.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

It is definitely not the recommended time to cut the fig back, but its your call if your willing to risk it. I did it in newcastle 2 weeks ago as we have been having good warm and somewhat humid weather put it in a protected spot and gave it good after care. Its kicking on nicely. as for the dead wood if it is from another tree I would dremel it down anytime of year but if doing it now wouldn't cut back at the same time incase you are stressing the tree and or do minor damage to it. I would reduce the dead wood to 1/2 or 2/3rd the size of the current outside area so as it grows over it wont create to much issue with reverse taper. Mind with thickening of all those aerials over time should not be an Issue. If It is covered in spag and you are fertalising keeping it warm and don't do damage to it removing the dead wood. It SHOULD recover with a hard chop back. Its your tree your call. Best option to me though is have at the dead wood. Feed up keep warm and humid as possible tip prune after it starts to grow and slowly chop back as it back buds till october when weather is better hit it hard with fert and love leading into october then cut back hard. All going well their should be a lot more growth and a healthier tree with some thickening of roots and it will thrive from their :imo: . Call is yours though.

Good Luck
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

The accepted advice is to work on figs when the minimum overnight temps are above 15 deg c.
although I am happy to do so withthem a bit lower but i am protected here from nasty weather

I agre with shibui to leave one of the trunks longer then the other to provide more visual interest in the tree.

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on May 23rd, 2016, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

I went ahead and dremelled away and couldn't be happier

I'm going to let it heal for awhile, then I might go back and fix up the right branch so it looks more natural. But I'm also hoping that some growth will help fix it up. As you can also see I've wrapped up the roots with sphagnum moss and plastic to protect them because it's getting colder and Toowoomba has low humidity.

Also definitely won't be cutting the branches back until we get a warm period, probably mid- to late spring.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

Good to see you went with your gut and are happy with the result.
:cool:
Regards Jason

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

5 plus year update?
Regards Jason

Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

They haven’t logged on for nearly a year . If you send them a private message they may get a notification as an email .
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rintar »

Cheers
Regards Jason

Return to “Tropical”