Ficus - Multi trunk # 1

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Ficus - Multi trunk # 1

Post by anthonyW »

Hi guys

This is a tree that I would start on 01-10-14

After establishing some order at the start with a little direction,branching and cleaning out the base(crossing aerials/root-age and so on)I would later graft on for lack of(base on one side)then let the tree go wild,so we have something to work with.

I would attack this tree (defoliate and wire)20-11-16

Tree stands approximately 500 mm high,I feel a bit more growth(extend lower pads)and at the top(main trunk)little more growth and flair....as for a front I like viewing this tree from both sides(2d/flat images don't really tell the whole story )but we will see what the foliage gives.

cheers Anthony

Progress and stucture(just click on image for bigger pic)
phptHACLlPM.jpg
phpdQVRKvPM.jpg
php9Xzwh6PM.jpg
phpMPPsrFPM.jpg
phpYsdw0sPM.jpg
phpeCXUhDPM.jpg
phpuWVAMQPM.jpg
php9fELobPM.jpg
Cools down a bit I will add a shot or two coming back in leaf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AirControl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Ficus - Multi trunk # 1

Post by AirControl »

I'd airlayer it just below the trunk bases to get a nice clump style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

That's a monster!!!
Love the roots...
Looks like it's only going to get better too.
Keep it up!!!
:cool:
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Whilst i see where air-control is going i think the exposed root mass is less typical and unique.
Keep it up.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Cheers guys for your comments.

The ficus species was noted to me from previous owner that it comes from the far north tropics with its bigger leaf,thinner leaf and a more veiny leaf and smooth white bark.

Keeping this in mind on a recent trip to Darwin for crocs and history etc,what should I see but something very similar and same looking and growing traits.

Obviously with a high humidity and constant to my temper-ant zone and pot culture there is anomalies but could see some similarities...whether it is the same species or close is always contentious with word of mouth.but very interesting trip all the same.

So if we study the fig the trunks are already long and straightish,so we need the bottom to comply with the top,balance it if you like...basically sit tall stand tall giving it a presence, from the previous owners plan to my plan.

With the bigger leaf and its exposed root system,I think it suits its current direction...a much larger bonsai.

There be couple more grafts to go on in the future...cheers
phpKG4qo5PM.jpg
phprA3qcFPM.jpg
phpkA7ylAPM (1).jpg
The host is now dead
phpfD8WIyPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Little up date,with the tree growing very fast and strong.

Will knock the top back a bit to let the energy redirect more to the lower,...so far so good.

With all figs generally once structure is set up,I let grow out of sync then knowing all areas are strong with growth I then go back normally to two or three leaves in all areas depending on size of fig and refine from there ...cheers.
phpxWCO0tPM.jpg
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Another season and alot more maturity in the design, the wire removed in winter to let it go in readiness for it to grow in the growing season as more taper was needed in certain areas, only removing where adventurous shoots were not needed, yes it looks feral but is was being closely being watched.

Defoliated, wired and reported and happy with the taper from trunk to branches to secondaries now to refine branch lets and keep the leaf size down cheers,

5 hrs later.... and No 30 on the fig list, shite :D and back at ranch, its :beer: time...cheers
phpZw1qDmPM.jpg
Wire off and let go for selected growth
php5DnRYzPM.jpg
Graft at the back taken and split for aerials to dribble down on and hopefully enhance the bottom third.
phpiKIaRpPM.jpg

Return to “Tropical”