Salvaged P.J Figs

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Salvaged P.J Figs

Post by alpineart »

These were 2 figs purchased from QLD a few years ago to repair my large Ishitsuki after another accident of my making . Unfortunately both had a apexes broken off in transit thanks our careful/considerate postal service . While 1 of them did managed to re-grow somewhat in 12 months the other simply sulked and refused to shoot so I simply caved the trunks to marry up and screwed them together placing them into a deep container
P1120309.JPG
. A few months ago I moved them onto this hand made poly marble tray , trimmed back hard and wired it up
P1120305.JPG
P1120306.JPG
P1120307.JPG
P1120308.JPG
. It needs removing again , the roots sorting and a wee trim which will take place over the coming days along with plenty of other Ficus configuration .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Salvaged P.J Figs

Post by anthonyW »

:yes: :)
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

"Hand made poly marble tray" - please explain? [insert Pauline Hansen emoji]

Looking at largish (70cm x 40cm) slabs/trays at the moment so I'd be keen to hear what you've been engineering over at the House of Alpineart. Particularly if it's something a mere mortal could have a lash at.

I like the fig too! Thinking the second shot of it in the tray (so 3rd image overall) could be a good option for a longer term front? Some nice sweeping movement from roots through to trunk, plus the way the branches are emerging from the trunk looks a little more balanced from this angle. Could just be me and the 2D effect though. The "natural" front (1st shot) is plenty pleasing as is.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi anthonyW .I agree. ;)

Hi Steve B , the poly marble trays are quite easy to make just time consuming . Using bench top off-cuts I simply cross cut a grid to the size and depth required with a diamond wheel in a tile cutting wet saw . Yes I have all the equipment for the building trade and 40 odd years of experienced with all the risks , hazards and safety required to create these things .

After cutting the grid it is ground out using a cup grinder (wet diamond } until the desired depth has been met . The outline is then cut out and the base carved to simulate feet . All the time a fume and dust respirator is worn as the dust and fumes are very nasty . Even when a good water supply is used fumes and dust even smoke are present and will knock you off your socks ,like sitting in a spray booth without a mask , might sound good but it can be lethal . The finished product is polished with 1200 grit wet and dry paper .

As for the fig there are numerous possible fronts on this fig not necessarily the way it resides on the tray, it was positioned like that to allow the roots to continue to run without cutting them and too conceal the fused bases , hence the removal and root prune is on the cards and the decision could be made {I change my mind often} .

Cheers Guys . Alpine
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Alpineart
As Anthony said, "something us mere mortals can achieve". :whistle: Jokes aside , the tray looks very nice Alpineart , but i don't think the average joe will achieve that .That's a great idea for the fig . I enjoy following your posts , quite inspirational
cheers
peterb
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi peterb, I might be uniquely different but I'm just a mere mortal too :twisted: , like anything , It's easy if you know how and as a tradie I have to know and having the equipment makes it a bit easier .

I wouldn't have attempted a lot of things if it wasn't for this forum and others and the inspiration and motivation to challenge myself . If I can find it or afford it , I make it or create it , be it pots , trays , rocks , tools , benches etc .

If you can't or dont have the means to do this type , go to a bench top company grab an off cut and ask them to rip a few thin pieces down . Use the thin strips as a perimeter edge beam and feet and glue them on . Most places might charge a few dollars for the off cut and a few for the time rip a few bits down but for the price of a slab its a cheap alternative .

Glad to know I do inspire as I too am inspire and motivated to help if and where I can .

Cheers Alpine
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

You've inspired me to get down to the local benchtop company and see what I can find Alpine! Great idea on glueing thinner pieces around the perimeter :tu: :tu: Trust the tradies eye for practical solutions to real world problems....
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Steve B , mate there;s more than one way to skin a cat , that's for sure . If you know of any tradesman that do kitchen reno's go ask them .

Most off cuts and pieces removed for sinks etc are actually dumped into landfill .I need to find the time to make a few from all the pieces here ,

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This had a revamp several weeks ago and a quick trim this morning before it goes on display at Valley Art in Ovens today
P1120768.JPG
P1120769.JPG
P1120770.JPG
P1120771.JPG
. This is some of the stock which will be used for an up and coming combined workshop and demo in Henty Southern NSW in a few weeks
P1120772.JPG
P1120773.JPG
P1120774.JPG
P1120775.JPG
. I did a workshop last year for the mini arts club and have been asked to return to do another Sunday season with 2 combined Horticultural clubs and the mini arts club from the surrounding area's. The rest of the Bonsai potted trainer stock is for the supply of material for Valley Art . Still promoting Bonsai in and around the N.E Victoria and Southern NSW regions .

Cheers . Alpinert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tropical”