Ficus Virens

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Ficus Virens

Post by jezz_39 »

I thought I had a thread for this tree but can't find it. Purchased late 2012, awful roots, no taper, trunks riddled in wire scars. As a beginner it was my nicest tree. Over the last 4 years I have cut off all overly thick roots, chopped trunks to different heights to produce taper and movement, and am now working on branch structure. Still has a way to go but is shaping up quite well. Latest photo is from last months repot, I will now be able to fit this into an appropriately sized pot in the next year or two. Just need to build an apex on the outer trunks and more ramification across the board. Comments and critiques welcome :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Ficus Virens

Post by boom64 »

Looking good Jeremy ,has the beginnings of a good solid, strong Bonsai. Great to look back and even better when you can see good progress. Cheers John.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks John. I try to document all my trees, you don't always recognise changes when you're looking at them everyday. I am much happier with the trunks now, got a few scars to heal which will happen with time. Once I get some branches set up to use for the outside apex, I'll need to slow the growth down. My biggest challenge with this species will be building a fine branch structure and ramification. It has a habit of sending out new shoots with long internodes which tends to stall progress a bit. One of the tops was struck as a cutting and is in the grow bed bulking up so i'll have another to play with in a few years :yes:
Regards,
Jeremy
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Very nice development

Do you have any spare cuttings/starters..finding it very difficult to source this species.

Anthony
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Not at this time, Anthony. The one in my grow bed will be left to go berserk so I'll keep you in mind once I get some going :tu:
Regards,
Jeremy
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Thank you :)
Jag001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Jag001 »

Jeremy,

what a great improvement you have made, this tree is well on its way to being a fine strong tree.

Thanks for sharing.
cheers,
Jeff
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Extraordinary development in under 5 years, really impressive job Jeremy. The tree is almost unrecognisable from the initial photo... in a good way that is! :tu:
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Awesome progression. Love the robust and character-filled trunk lines. Shows the importance of sacrifice branches and letting things get a little ugly in the short term for the long term pay off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I do still have a long road ahead with this tree, a lot of scars to heal but fortunately I'm still in a growing out phase so it will all happen in time. If you look at the first photo the trunk on the left was cut to the first branch. Part of the thickness came from an aerial root, they are more useful than sacrifice branches when it comes to adding girth and healing wounds, but if you're in a refining state they can get out of hand and cause you more grief. I wouldn't pay money for stock like this now, but it's humbling to know that it can be improved in time and I hope to one day bring it to its full potential
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

I finally got this tree into a pot so I can really focus on its development. Still a long way to go but the bones are there, the biggest challenge will be trying to develop fine ramification. Time will tell. The main trees apex needs reducing, it got a bit out of hand this season so I will wait to see which back buds present themselves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jezz_39 on January 4th, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Jeremy
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

Mate. Nice tree/s. I like it.

Maybe it’s my lack of experience, but there seems a very obvious reduction for me, for multiple reasons/gains...

jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Absolutely, though I think ideally it will be cut back before the fork. I'll know in a week or so when the buds begin to push.
Regards,
Jeremy

Return to “Tropical”