A little Willow Leaf Fig

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

A little Willow Leaf Fig

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

This is an old Willow Leaf Fig that I got in '96. Somehow it has managed to survive till now.

I need to dig up an old photo and scan it from back then, but the first photo is from 2012 in a very sad and sorry state.
WLF2 2012 lol.jpg
I had visions of grandeur and looking back, it would have been a 'Pom Pom on a stick...' and now its a...

I lost the top, bit the bullet and cut it back in 2015, chose a few shoots and this was the result before any further work. Then forgot about it till Nov 2016
WLF2 18 Nov 2016 B.jpg
A couple of days later, a new front, some wire and a new pot...
WLF2 20 Nov 2016.jpg
Since then I have trimmed it a couple of times, but apart from that, letting it have its head so it can build strength ahead of refining it this spring.
WLF2 15 March 2017.jpg
* a couple of days ago

It has responded well so far and I am looking forward to defoliating it in spring to see what is there.

Any thoughts, ideas and comments are welcomed.

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[ Kane ]
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Redlands, QLD

Re: A little Willow Leaf Fig

Post by [ Kane ] »

That is a neat tree. Well done. How do you find they take to wire, well?
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

You've certainly got yourself a much healthier and happier looking tree now, David!

I think the main thing I've learned about Willow Leaf Figs is that they usually have way too much foliage...so I'm constantly cleaning out all the excess leaves and shoots along the branches I plan on keeping. Not sure if I should be, but it certainly makes for easier wiring, and helps me keep an eye on the lines I want to create.

I'm sure you'll work your magic with it. :)
[ Kane ]
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Redlands, QLD

Post by [ Kane ] »

melbrackstone wrote:You've certainly got yourself a much healthier and happier looking tree now, David!

I think the main thing I've learned about Willow Leaf Figs is that they usually have way too much foliage...so I'm constantly cleaning out all the excess leaves and shoots along the branches I plan on keeping. Not sure if I should be, but it certainly makes for easier wiring, and helps me keep an eye on the lines I want to create.

I'm sure you'll work your magic with it. :)
I agree on this one. I have two willow leaf figs & keeping the foliage under control seems to be the trick - they shoot new growth so well too.
Bonsai_creations
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus-mini unbrella-jade-natives
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Bonsai_creations »

looks great, just show the trunk off a little more. not much. :cool:
Last edited by Bonsai_creations on May 17th, 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

Over the last few days I got stuck into this little fig and managed to finish off wiring it up this afternoon.
WLF 8 Sept 2017 A.jpg
*before
WLF 8 Sept 2017 B.jpg
*defoliated
WLF 12 Sept 2017.jpg
*wired up

Happy how it sits and will now feed it strongly when it starts to leaf out with the intention of a second defoliation mid to late December, depending on growth.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Cheers

Willow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

David
The two I have are defoliated but not by my hand . One -8 this year and 10 or so -5+ did the trick even in a fully sealed hot house . The large willow of mine has got damaged quite bad :( Sydney obviousally dosent have this issue and it seems you can get away with 2-3 defols a year . Here I get one around mid January . Very nice tree that base is fantastic :D :D

Return to “Tropical”