Bougy Fertilising

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Bougy Fertilising

Post by Mbunro »

Any chance anyone could maybe share with me the fertiliser regime you use on bougies.
Had a bad last season with my big one... tried 2 different solid fertilisers and 4 diffferent liquids over the last year and it just seems to sulk for a few weeks with wilted leaves until the fertiliser has washed away. its apparantly 20 plus years old but small for that age so i assume its never really been fertilised much before but i could be wrong.
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Re: Bougy Fertilising

Post by The Surgeon »

I dug my one and only about 15mths ago - its quite big. After it sat in poor quality mix for about 6 months I repotted to a training pot with good mix. I used a pelletised chook manure (similar to dynamic lifter) and the tree was fine.

Be interested to hear what the more experienced bougy collectors use.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi

I use Sudden Impact for Roses a Neutrog Product from the big green shed.

JC
JC
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

From what I understand if you're developing the branches use a standard NPK and if you are after flowers use a low N type.
Mike
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

I collected a big one early spring last year, Seasol for the first couple of months then after good strong growth I've just been using liquid Powerfeed every couple of weeks and some of Treeman's organic fert cakes here and there.

It has multiple metre long runners all over so ready to be worked come warmer weather.

I see you're in Perth, have you been keeping the water up to it often enough?
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

Thanks for the replies.
Lane wrote:I see you're in Perth, have you been keeping the water up to it often enough?
its in a big styrofoam box down wind from my bench so it mostly just gets the excess mist from the bench, as well as a proper water maybe once every 3 days when it seems really dry in summer.. any more than that and it wilts just like when i fertilize it.. Maybe it could be a combined issue with the potting mix. its 2 trunks so i will probably split them when it warms up and pot them into something a bit better and see if i get different results..

Return to “Tropical”