Sheferella Arboricola?? Dwarf umbrella tree...

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: None

Sheferella Arboricola?? Dwarf umbrella tree...

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

Picked up this dwarf umbrella tree a month ago, can't go wrong for 12 bux and should make an interesting root over rock as it already has quite fat surface roots.. Gonna be a challenge with the roots (severely root bound in this deep pot :( )

How much can i trim off the top in 1 go and it still be happy? Want to go down to only maybe 30% of this size?

Thanks, JamieImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Sheferella Arboricola?? Dwarf umbrella tree...

Post by robb63 »

Hi Jamie, I have been playing with 2 off these for a couple of years now.
I found it best to cut back hard and root prune in warmer weather, so November I think in SA
I treat mine a lot like figs, they seem to be as hardy. Have cut old stems back to a couple of leaves no problem.
What I noticed is where I expect a shoot to grow when cutting is never right, it seems to shoot on opposite side.
I cut to get upward shoot and it sprouts down :lost: watch that!!. No doubt someone else can explain that better.
Have removed 75% from roots with no issues [early summer]. Hope that helps
cheers
Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

robb63 wrote:Hi Jamie, I have been playing with 2 off these for a couple of years now.
I found it best to cut back hard and root prune in warmer weather, so November I think in SA
I treat mine a lot like figs, they seem to be as hardy. Have cut old stems back to a couple of leaves no problem.
What I noticed is where I expect a shoot to grow when cutting is never right, it seems to shoot on opposite side.
I cut to get upward shoot and it sprouts down :lost: watch that!!. No doubt someone else can explain that better.
Have removed 75% from roots with no issues [early summer]. Hope that helps
cheers
Yeah it does... thanks heaps, i will give it a good cut back in the next few weeks and see how it goes 8-)

Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

The cut back... hoping to build a nice conopy at around 350mm high and will spread the roots to plant on/over some flat creek rocks i am collectingImage

Return to “Tropical”