Ficus - Time to play

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Ficus - Time to play

Post by anthonyW »

Some of the smaller brigade all re potted trimmed and waiting for new leaf...cheers
phpCNSnlCPM (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Re: Ficus - Time to play

Post by CraigM »

Impressive trees :cool:
Hal
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Northern, YV

Post by Hal »

Quite a delightful collection there Anthony. What sort of soil mix you got there? Looks quite dark on top and I wonder if they are actual soil mix or just dark top up pebbles.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Hal wrote:What sort of soil mix you got there? Looks quite dark on top and I wonder if they are actual soil mix or just dark top up pebbles.
Looks a little like fertiliser to me Hal. An impressive display Anthony :worship: and why not up where you are, Ficus country.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks guys

Hi Hal

The medium is a nearly all organic mix from Leong (Bonsai South) and ready bagged,not only gives me great health to the trees but some relief of one to two days grace watering so many trees :), I add some sharp rock around 10% to 15% total diatomite or/and scoria to keep the curl grub at bay and only for that reason,they are my only fear, scourge most times in losing a tree,this works for me.

On top of the mix is a very liberal coat of grey rounded stone from the aquarium shop (3 to 8 mil approx) for aesthetics and to help retain the moisture.

I use to use 100% diatomite before great stuff but my collection grew and I could not source it and more..pity, but plenty watering and fert used there but as said great results
php1bqTCLPM.jpg
Liquid gold :D
phpHox9zbPM.jpg
Very happy with health
Some of the biggies queued up and ready to go with this mix and a pretty heavy fertilising regime works for me and as Bodhi said handy climate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tropical”