Ficus before and after

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Ficus before and after

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi guys,
I got this one recently didn’t imagine that this will be like this gorgeous ,
What you think is this pot good or needs bigger size?
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ficus before and after

Post by shibui »

Ficus will grow in small pots so horticulturally it is ok. Smaller pots are more difficult to maintain. watering needs to be very good and you do need to repot more often to give room for new roots to grow.
In bonsai pot and tree need to harmonise. Pot needs to be big enough to make the tree look stable. When we look at the tree it should not look like it would blow away in some wind. Pot should not be too big either. If the pot dominates and people see the pot first then your tree you have not chosen well.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi shibul, ficus I tried it before its not hard to look after! you right small pot its too tight to work with , this ficus has too much roots as it was growing in bigger pot but i have to control the growth otherwise grow too much, this pot to me looks alright! Maybe next year I’ll put it in bigger one, Appreciate your advice
Cheers
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

hi mate :D i think you think it looks right in the pot because the roots are so HUGE!!! they are no way in comparison to the trunk, if your happy with the trunk girth ( i wouldn't be) then the largest roots should only be about 1/5th to a 1/4 of the trunks width, the next move, as they say in Karate is, chop chop chop, or as i like to say when i did gymnastics, find the balance. When your ready, get set :hooray:
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

You absolutely right! Im just realised this Yesterday as i was staring at it and feel something wrong with it I don’t know what is it thank you for pointing me
Cheers.

Return to “Tropical”