Ficus - Little Ruby

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ficus - Little Ruby

Post by anthonyW »

Okay I see what you want to do, and by the way don t worry about scars, there not scars they are barely scratches , I can show you scars.

Firstly you have enough/plenty power back behind the cut in my opinion if you cut not to loose the tree, but the piece you cut off is the dominant trunk bringing energy to the shoot as it feeds all its many dominant tips dragging that little guy along, this is your dilemma take the main leader/trunk away your little shoot will mostly struggle or good chance to loose it as the two other trunks are very healthy and powerful to take all the energy.Bit like the workings of a pine...sorry thats not what you want to hear.
I have some other ideas, by using the one you want to cut off, use it as single trunk by bringing up and wiring to so as per drawn...canopy foliage your design on both just ideas here

Or use it as lower branch winding up or cascading down with the healthy guy on the left as the top flowing the same way.

Hope all this makes sense
php7SQCCmAM.jpg
phpmVkNMfAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Ficus - Little Ruby

Post by Mbunro »

thanks anthony,
not what i wanted to hear but glad i heard it.
i have considered your first virt but hadnt even thought about the semi cascade... more options.
planning to have a look at the root system in the next month or 2 so will make some decisions when i can see exactly whats going on.

Return to “Tropical”