Tree design

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Tree design

Post by Beano »

Hi,

Earlier in the year I took some large cuttings and an air layer from some large fig topiaries in my yard. I think the overall opinion was that they were microcarpa species. The air layer and one of the cuttings is doing quite well!

Anyway, the air layer I plan to develop as a broom style in spring/summer, but it has a main branch off the trunk that is quite thick and another about half the size. I have done two doodles regarding how long the each branch should be before secondary branches should start. To me it seems more natural that the fatter branch should be longer than the thinner branch before secondary branches emerge, compared to the opposite drawing I’ve done. But are there any rules on this?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
Last edited by Beano on June 30th, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Tree design

Post by Ryceman3 »

Beano wrote:But are there any rules on this?
In short... no idea, but for me your first pic looks much more fluid and logical in terms of branch position and the flow of taper etc...

Styling “rules” seem to me to be more subjective and interpretive than “black and white”. I think if you have a direction you want to head and a reason for doing it that way that makes sense to you and you believe will result in the best tree, the rules don’t particularly matter.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Beano,
Your second doodle would be more convincing as a "traditional" split trunk broom style, where branches would extend off from a bolt straight trunk - all from around the same level.
Your first doodle looks a little more like an informal upright style, as the trunk has a slight lean -which I don't think a "traditional" broom style would display.
I agree with R3's comments above - do whatever will compliment the tree best & if it looks right to you then :yes:

Style is over rated.
I personally find the Hokidachi style to be about as interesting as watching dog poo turn white in the sun.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Ha!!! Thanks both of you. Maybe I mean informal upright as I also like the first image. The air layer actually has a triple branch from the main trunk but I can’t decide if I’m keeping a third, and if not, which one will get the chop. I don’t want a huge big scar so may have to have all three, even though it’s one of the “rules” to only have two.

Return to “Tropical”