Frost + Figs = :(

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Qitianlong
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: n/a

Frost + Figs = :(

Post by Qitianlong »

Oh man, so many of my figs have been slammed in the recent Sydney frosts... never seen it like this before.
Someone please give me some good news about their potential recovery... please...
:( :? :x :shake: :palm: :crybye:
"Step by step walk the thousand mile path" Musashi - Book of 5 Rings
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Frost + Figs = :(

Post by shibui »

Ausbonsai member Sir Theodore is a member of our club. One of his figs was burnt badly last winter but has recovered. That's the second time that tree has been scorched to ground level and recovered to become a multi trunk tree growing from a large base.
I've also had figs burnt to the ground - we regularly get sub zero temps down here - and I think nearly all of them have recovered.
If you're lucky only the tips will die which may actually end up giving better ramification. You may need to train new branches or maybe a whole new trunk as mentioned above.

Need to remember that this is possible in future. All figs move to a more protected area in winter - BEFORE the cold nights come. In some places that might just be close to the house, under the eaves or under a verandah. In cooler areas like Canberra figs spend the winter inside the house or in a glasshouse. They are one of the few genera that tolerate being inside for prolonged periods.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Qitianlong
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Qitianlong »

Thanks Shibui,
I've had them under a shade cloth successfully over the last few winters, but this year I should have protected them more. Lesson learnt!
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

Qitianlong,

I am a member of Canberra Bonsai Society - only got involved some 4 years ago and before I joined I purchased 4 Figs(Bunnings/Masters special for mum at Christmas variety) and when I stated this at one of my first meetings I was looked upon quite strangely by members who advised this was not the wisest decision in Canberra - however I then immediately purchased a "walk in" greenhouse from Bunnings at $65 and it is in the outdoor BBQ area under the Pergola.

During past few years my figs enter the greenhouse as soon as daytime temps are below 15C and evening temps are not going to make 5C - we have regularly had -5 to -9 at Bungendore and they are going great guns.

Keep at it they are worth the effort and small expense

John(JP)
CBS
Qitianlong
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Qitianlong »

Sydney-siders, looks like it's going to get below freezing again overnight until after Sunday...
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Here is good advice i received from a long time Fig grower which worked well for me. If you have forgotten your fig is outdoors and gets "Frost Hit", immediately (next morning) go out and spray the leaves with warm to hottish water and they recover very well, most of mine did not even lose their leaves. Move them into a protected area straight away to assist recovery.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “Tropical”