Ficus Nerifolia Ideas

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Harbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Privet
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society

Ficus Nerifolia Ideas

Post by Harbs »

Sometime in autumn I bought this mature ficus nerifolia. It's about 30yo, a trunk slightly larger than a beer bottle and massive nebari. However, the branch structure needs a lot of attention so I thought I'd get some advice.

The first couple of photos are from when I bought it in April, and the rest are from this very rainy day.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-zEiERVFTgt9HZjM.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-fMYYWdNCfaET.jpg
That day I thinned it slightly so the next few images will have fewer leaves, but don't worry the tree is healthy.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-WPXBbaUSIppL.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-UgSTCuZmjXubme.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-uELj0YVhJANy269f.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-SQvflNch19SWhD.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-lVqezOKh5Frn.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-KfReG4HwYPFjVKOI.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-eEJFHWWGAobBC.jpg
I would appreciate any styling advice. Of course no work on it until it warms up but want to have a plan for when the growth explodes. Currently I plan to airlayer the top off and develop a complete new top, while also removing two of the 'triple branch' branches.

I apologise for the dodgy photos but can get some better ones if anyone would like.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marlon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Duranta, Ficus, Bottlebrush, Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ficus Nerifolia Ideas

Post by Marlon »

Hello Harbs,

I am very new to bonsai. That said I've read a lot on the topic and browsed a lot of pictures and videos AAND you welcomed all ideas. I think it would work very well as a formal upright, or perhaps broom(hokidachi). The nebari is huge, it could probably balance out a big canopy. As im not experienced I am not sure how it would work in terms of developing branches, and them balancing out with the size of the stem. Any taller though and it would require the trunk to be a little thicker. Great tree, keep posting on the progress please. It looks very promising.

Cheers
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Ficus Nerifolia Ideas

Post by robb63 »

Hi Harbs
It sounds like your happy developing this fig as a formal upright.
If so layering the top off is a great way to get a free tree :tu: with a good little trunk too.
Angling your layer cut[not strait across]will help to give a bit of movement to future trunk .
The first small branch in pic 3 could be a new leader/apex branch or similar one at the back.
The first 2 branches look a bit too thick for the trunk IMO. A major cut back at least or maybe more?
If it were my fig I would remove both thick branches 1st & 2nd completely and regrow them in proportion to trunk.
When the airlayer comes off and you choose new leader the tree will have some trunk taper to work from.
Then you can enjoy developing the new branches yourself
Although regrowing new branches will take a bit longer the end result is worth the effort.
These figs grow vry well in your area so in a few seasons you can get good branch development
My habit when stuck for inspiration on styling any tree is trolling through old posts here on ausbonsai
If you look in "Evergreens" widow there are heaps of good posts about willow leaf figs
cheers

Return to “Tropical”