Ficus PJ starter - any suggestions?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.

Re: Ficus PJ starter - any suggestions?

Postby shibui » January 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Well done on your pruning. Not many would be as bold but that's just what was needed.
Don't worry about the original tree. It will sprout whether you have it covered with a bag or not. It is the cuttings with no roots that need the protection.
Leave the cuttings covered night and day until there is definite growth on top then uncover for longer periods each day.
Figs will grow despite what you do to them.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Postby Light » March 4th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Just an update on the tree:

Top - 4.3.19.jpg

Side 1 - 4.3.19.jpg

Almost 2 months since I first pruned it. Should I do another pruning early in autumn as the weather is still quite hot?

As for the two cuttings, unfortunately they both died. I had them covered with plastic bottle halves, and the soil was always moist. I also had them in complete shade in our alfresco, maybe I should've had them indoors?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Light
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby matlea » March 4th, 2019, 9:55 pm

I would fertilise and just let it grow for now. Even if your going for shohin size. Once the branches mature a bit more lignify you could wire, but would not do too early in case it breaks off from trunk.
As for cuttings next time try placing them straight into the ground in a spot with a small amount of morning sun -mature cuttings. Keep the soil moist. This seems to work for me.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Light » March 5th, 2019, 1:51 am

Hey matlea,

We had several periods where the temperature was 40 degrees or just under this summer. Do your cuttings survive that, even in the shade?

And what type of fertilizer do you recommend for a ficus? Cheers.
Last edited by Light on March 5th, 2019, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby shibui » March 5th, 2019, 5:10 am

Ficus can't read so they don't seem to care what fertiliser they get as long as they get something. Use any plant fertiliser at the rates on the packet. Figs are hungry. One of our members down here would pile on the dynamic lifter pellets up to 1cm thick on top of the pot and his trees thrived but that's just for ficus. That much might not be good for some other species. DL can be a bit smelly so a liquid fert might be more suitable - recommended strength every week or 2 while the tree is growing and a bit less often if it slows down over winter.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Postby matlea » March 5th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Agree with shibui re fertiliser.
The cuttings I did were about 5mm thick and 15 - 20cm long with just a few leaves left on top. I do have some bark mulch in the garden beds so that would have assisted with moisture retention in the ground. Gave a light water every time I watered my plants.... and survived the hot days we have had. I think ...? I made the cuttings early spring which may have also given them a chance before the hottest part of summer.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Jake fowler » March 10th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I have found ficus cuttings very easy to root with a very high success rate. If it is a pencil thick cutting I don't even use rooting hormone. Just cut it off, leave 3 or 4 leaves on the end and put it in potting mix under the back verandah and water when the bottom of the pot is dry when lifted. A few weeks ago I did one 15mm thick when we had a heatwave of 40 degrees + in Adelaide and that has rooted and is already showing new growth
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby Light » March 15th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Ah, I see. My cuttings were only about 2-3mm thick, so they're probably less likely to succeed.

Trunk%20Chop.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Light on March 15th, 2019, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Jake fowler » March 15th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Another option is to stand them in a jar of water until roots grow and then transplant into potting mix. This works easily but the roots are very soft and can get damaged when transplanting
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby dansai » March 15th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I find most fig cuttings I make take root with little care. Some don’t. There’s always heaps when you trim a fig. Nowadays I only put in larger cuttings with interesting shapes. I usually cut vertically at least into four at the base, sometimes more with larger cuttings. The majority take. If they don’t there is always more.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Previous

Return to Tropical