NEGLECTED BOUGAINVILLEA - HELP

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
BzTouring
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Fruit trees
Bonsai Age: 0

NEGLECTED BOUGAINVILLEA - HELP

Post by BzTouring »

:gday: Newbie again seeking your help.

I was given a neglected bougainvillea bonsai but I am happy with my gift because I believe it has a good frame/movement .

This plant has not been maintained for a long time. Several of its roots had penetrated the pot and were in the ground. There was such a thick one that I had to use a looper to cut it so I can remove the plant. I will examine its roots carefully when repotting but it appears that part of the nebari has decayed. There is also branch rot.

I have only been part of this art for about 2 months and have been trying to learn as much as I can to identify a good bonsai, and how to create and maintain one. While there may be several ways to reshape it and may be an easy fix, as a beginner this piece is a challenge to me. I really don't want to "mess" things up.

For instance, I could remove some branches such as the one that seems to be parallel to the trunk. Also, by tilting the plant I could achieve a semi-cascade look.

Any suggestions for improvement or cleaning up?

Please excuse the pics loaded. I do not know how to load directly on to Ausbonsai. While I found a link (with pictures) giving instructions, that link is old (2008) and I am unable to access the pictures. If anyone knows of a more current link, please indicate. Or, do the honours of providing an instructional guide :yes:
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: NEGLECTED BOUGAINVILLEA - HELP

Post by tgward »

your right--excellent trunk movement and seems to have some good branching choices---- :2c: -'I would'----- lift from pot and wash the top inch of soil from the top and see what the base is doing down lower--perhaps shorten those long straight branches and deal with any giant roots at the bottom- replant a bit higher in same pot so there is some new soil surrounding the root ball-feed well - grow on for a season and see what develops
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Hazel
That cascading main branch looks like it will make a very interesting trunk line.
It looks like it may work well as a semi or possibly a full cascade.
The weight on one side you can balance out with a deeper bonsai pot when repotting
Although Bougies are hardy they take a long time to heal large cuts and can rot if untreated.
I seal all cuts thicker than 1cm diameter and reseal regularly, especially larger cuts.
Look forward to seeing how you develop it.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Hazel,

This looks like a wonderfully interesting tree and I look forward to seeing it progress.

The trees in this link may provide you some inspiration.

http://bonsaibark.com/2012/09/06/paying ... ld-friend/

Cheers,

Mark

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
BzTouring
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Fruit trees
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by BzTouring »

Thank you MJL for that link. It was a good read and has been informative on many levels, for example, the ficus. I am also interested in rocks and I attempted one last weekend (perhaps if I had seen this link before, I would have changed my concept. ) :lost: Oh well, next time.

Return to “Tropical”