Serious about Ficus!

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Serious about Ficus!

Post by MelaQuin »

Bloke I know in Canberra has a bay window in the kitchen and has installed a triangular shelf so his fig sits by the window throughout the cold weather getting the warmth of the house and the light from outside. It has done well for him and the fig goes outside in the warmer months. Another friend lost a beaut collected fig [that I was serious about buying but he wouldn't sell] because he forgot to bring it under the eaves one night and the frost put paid to it. Yet another person has quite a number of substantial and stunning Port Jacksons that are kept in a bush house to keep the freezing nights and the deer from harming them. So with a bit of care you can do it. What a pity I didn't see your post sooner.. the B-runner could have brought a PJ back [maybe - maybe not].
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Re: Serious about Ficus!

Post by BoNZai »

Thanks Mel,

I have had a bit of a dig around local garden centers for Figs but nothing here. I'll have to go out of town for a recce next week.

Someone suggested to get a bunch of cuttings and get them fused together. I like that plan to get good trunk size. I'm planning to do that with willow cuttings as well next winter. I have seen it on the interweb somewhere but cannot find it anymore.

Succes with B?

Cheers

BoNZAi

Return to “Tropical”