Port Jackson figs just never die!

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
ediri
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 5

Port Jackson figs just never die!

Post by ediri »

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum so I've decided to share with you all my two Port Jackson figs that I've tries to develop over the last 8 years. I purchased them as potensai styock from two bonsai nurseries in Perth (both of which have sadly closed down).
Fig one (the last picture) was on the discount table as a sad looking stump with only two stubbie branches and yellowing leaves, it had some kind of black spot but I liked the look of him and bought him, chopped him back and have been just using the clip and grow method (no wiring at all) on him since I bought him.
Fig 2 was a taller ficus that I cut back and have kept close to it's orignal shape, just using the clip and grow method on him. I defoliate them every year and only feed them osmocote. They get full sun and watered daily in our hot Perth summers and they thrive! I once went on a month long holiday where my house mate didn't water them at all (this was in the middle of summer) and they still survived with very minimal shrivelling!)
I highly recommend these hardy figs,will absolutely thrive on neglect (though I actually do take good care of them. I would love to develop aerial roots on them soon.

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the pics, more to follow!

-Sarah, bonsai enthusiast in training :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Port Jackson figs just never die!

Post by Jamie »

good stuff, i could just imagine how they would be with a regular feeding regime aswell, they would have a lot more structure, if you have had them for that long, in your climate it should only take a couple of years and three or four defoliations to get the strucure :)

jamie :D

ps. figs are one of my favourite trees :D

edit- by the way welcome to the forum :lol: you will find lots of good advice here and the people friendly :D
Last edited by Jamie on February 19th, 2010, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Port Jackson figs just never die!

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Sarah, I agree with Jamie's comments about the fertalizer regime. Your trees look good. I followed the same clip and grow, osmocote regime as you and had similar results. After reading about the heavier fertilizer regime on this site I followed the advise and have had a growth explosion on my figs which have required two heavy prunes this growing season and I am toying with idea of doing another.
Figs are like kids - always growing and eating :lol: :lol:

Return to “Tropical”