Just a Q for the experts about bougs......

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Just a Q for the experts about bougs......

Post by krittas »

I have the oppertunity to get hold of a mature bougainvillea that is in the ground in a yard which is going to be demolished.....
my question is........

am i able to dig it up now ????
if so what precations should i take ??

I am in Perth if that helps with my answers....Average temp at the momoent is 32 during the day so it hasnt even started cooling down...If not then "bugger i guess"
Let me know what you guys think..... :?:
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Re: Just a Q for the experts about bougs......

Post by Jarrod »

Pretty sure you'll be fine to dig it now. Try to get roots but it essential. They are tough as nails and very vigourous! What colour are the bracts around the flowers?

How big is it? And do you have photos? If your taking big branches off try striking them as cuttings!
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

Jarrod wrote:Pretty sure you'll be fine to dig it now. Try to get roots but it essential. They are tough as nails and very vigourous! What colour are the bracts around the flowers?

How big is it? And do you have photos? If your taking big branches off try striking them as cuttings!
thanks for the reply...dont have pics yet but will....they are pink, yellow and red.....3 differant trees......biggish trunks 100mm+ on two of them.....
They are for free so i may as well dig em....if i dont they will be dead anyway....
Any things i should do to limit loss that u know of....seasol..etc etc
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

To limit loss all you need to do it plant them out. They are very hardy, and I have taken 40mm cuttings with no hormone and very little care, and that's in Melbourne...I really don't think you will have any trouble keeping them alive over there mate. As long as you keep the humidity up to them they will be fine.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

Krittas, I,ve managed to have success collecting bougies any time of the year,lost only one ,so far .(it was previously hacked by a trenching machine and we think ,dosed up with something!) Peter from Bonsai Emp. says that summer is the best time to collect em. Take as much fiberous root as you can,plant out into fast draining medium,keep the top moist/humid and you should be hunky dory,Where abouts are you?..I might be able to lend a hand,bearing in mind ,it will be thirsty work at this time of year ;) ....Dog.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

bonzaidog wrote:Krittas, I,ve managed to have success collecting bougies any time of the year,lost only one ,so far .(it was previously hacked by a trenching machine and we think ,dosed up with something!) Peter from Bonsai Emp. says that summer is the best time to collect em. Take as much fiberous root as you can,plant out into fast draining medium,keep the top moist/humid and you should be hunky dory,Where abouts are you?..I might be able to lend a hand,bearing in mind ,it will be thirsty work at this time of year ;) ....Dog.

mate cheers for the offer but i dug them out and potted them up in whatever i could find to see if they grow....if not i havent really lost anything except maybe 2kg of sweat...lol...will get some pics together..... :D

Return to “Tropical”