Digging figs

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Digging figs

Post by MattA »

Just wondering is it too late to dig a fig? I am in newcastle & temps have cooled slightly but not alot with nights still high teens. I think its a port jackson but am not 100%, currently in my front garden so theres no huge rush i just liked how it has come on & thought it was healthy enough to go back into a pot.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Digging figs

Post by Jamie »

if you can wait till it warms up but doesnt necessarily mean ya cant now, as long as you give it good after care and a humid micro climate and it should be sweet, as long as it is warm enough you will be fine :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

MattA wrote:Just wondering is it too late to dig a fig? I am in newcastle & temps have cooled slightly but not alot with nights still high teens. I think its a port jackson but am not 100%, currently in my front garden so theres no huge rush i just liked how it has come on & thought it was healthy enough to go back into a pot.

Matt
Hey Mat, Figs are tough buggers. As long as you got some roots, it should be fine. But better to do it during warmer season.

Cheers Eddie
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Cheers guys, stay where it is till next summer starts sounds like the go. Too much stuffing around with micro climates etc... I want to be able to dig em & pot em and watch em grow. Added to the list of trees to be dug next yr.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

yep, wait till spring/summer this year mate, it will be good then, another few months in the ground wont hurt, just spade round it now in prep for the dig, do it every month ;)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

If night temps are still high teens what are ya worried about ? i would, so it recovers now and then goes into 5th gear next spring/summer. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Regan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Regan »

I agree with ant, but that's coming from a queenslander

cheers Regan
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

anttal63 wrote:If night temps are still high teens what are ya worried about ? i would, so it recovers now and then goes into 5th gear next spring/summer. :D 8-)
HHmmm tree spend all winter recovering, or tree spend all winter powering on... i will take the second option. It went in the ground to get some power on. I dont want to reverse that by digging now. If i was a queenslander it would have gone into a bigger box instead of the ground. You guys are so lucky with the way figs grow for you.

Anyways, decided the pot is a little on the small side for the tree, yet another reason for it to stay in the ground till next season. Hopefully by then i will have found a pot to suit or maybe get Penny to make me one a bit bigger than what i have here.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Stimson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by Stimson »

i just did a fig 10 days ago, has already sent out roots everywhere. my rule is get all repotting done by early-mid march and you are generally OK.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Took three figs from gutters 3 1/2 weeks ago, going fine in their new boxs.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

i think unless your happy with the size of the tree then dig it, if you arent happy with the size of the tree and being in the ground hasnt got it to where you want it leave it. leaving it in the ground without distubing it will only do it good so its not going to hurt.

as soon as you move it into a grow box or pot it will have to settle in and it will be growing new roots instead of putting on growth up for the first bit.

jamie.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!

Return to “Tropical”