When to defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Craig.a.c
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that doesn't die on me.
Bonsai Age: 1

When to defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?

Post by Craig.a.c »

I have a small Port Jackson Fig (around 3 inches tall) and was wondering if it is to late to defoliate it?
If it isn't to late how do I go about defoliating it? Do I just take the leaves off at the stem or at the base of the leaf at the petiole?

Cheers Craig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"NARF"
Pinky.
Regan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: When to defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?

Post by Regan »

What are you trying to achieve by defoliating mate. It looks like it's still in development, I'd be letting it power on for a bit before worying about leaf reduction.

Leongs book recomends pulling the leaf and stem off.

Let someone with a bit more knowledge than me guide you though

cheers Regan
Craig.a.c
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that doesn't die on me.

Post by Craig.a.c »

Regan wrote:What are you trying to achieve by defoliating mate. It looks like it's still in development, I'd be letting it power on for a bit before worying about leaf reduction.

Leongs book recomends pulling the leaf and stem off.

Let someone with a bit more knowledge than me guide you though

cheers Regan

Thanks. I was thinking of pruning it back or defoliating to encourage denser growth, or I may let it fill out some more. Not sure what I am wanting to do with it at the moment.
"NARF"
Pinky.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I think you can defoliate it at the moment. I am doing mine and i am in Victoria. Aftercare is what is important. Put it into a glass house or some protection after working on it. Once it is bare you can wire it to shape if you want to style it. It depends on what you want from the tree. A mame or small tree or something a little larger. If it were mine i would wire it into something a little more pleasing movement wise and put it into a large container and let it grow. Of course keep an eye on the wire and adjust it as it gets to tight. As your experience grows so will your eye for Bonsai and i think this tree will go through many changes
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Hello Craig,
I see several facets to your question and have answered them individually.

At what time of year do you defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?
In tropical Australia I feel comfortable defoliating a PJF at any time of year, but I choose to do it at different times depending on my desired result. Defoliation my PJFs in late March to May on trees that haves already grown in a pot for a year (and are thus root bound) results in smaller leaves and more dense back-budding. This is what I would do to exhibit a tree anytime in the next six months. Defoliating the same tree the following August is also good but usually I need to repot soon after and the effect is lost when fertile new ptting mix is introduced.

Defoliating my PJFs in August to November on trees that were just repotted and have plenty of room to grow results in larger more lush growth and stronger branch and trunk development. This is what I would do if I want the leaves out of the way for styling. Defoliating December-Feb in the hot wet season results in beautiful big glossy luscious leaves and reduced back budding for me. Probably different in a cooler climate. Defoliating in June or July doesn't really fit with my repotting cycle but there are no adverse results here.

At what time in a bonsai's growth cycle do you defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?
I defoliate a PJF only if the plant is growing vigorously ie. very healthy growing, in good soil, pest free, well fed etc. I usually only do it occasionally, but have done it three times a year on the right material.

At what time in a bonsai's development do you defoliate a Port Jackson Fig?
I defoliate trees for two reasons- to increase ramification and reduce leaves OR to see the branches and budding points clearly for wiring. I defoliate more mature trees for the former reason or on any decent sized healthy tree for the latter. Defoliating a tree will slow trunk and primary branch thickening so I do not do it on material in which my primary focus is thickening.

When should I defoliate this tree? (the one in the pic)
I would not defoliate it at all- probably one half of this trees energy mass and nutrients are tied up in its leaves- if you take that away you will slow down its growth. At the moment it needs to grow to develop trunk and branches. Worry about the foliage size and ramification latter. I may chose to wire and shape it but watch it closely for signs the wire is cutting in.

How should I defoliate/leaf trim a PJF?
I never pull the leaves off by hand. I cut half way through the petiole using sharp scizzors, the lamina drops and the petiole base stays and drops off at a latter date. I shoot tip trim at the same time. There is not point in cutting the leaves off unless you are tacking the stem end shoot out as well. On a trunk and primary branch developing tree I allow the new shoot to elongate unhindered until the leaf I want to prune it back too (usually the first of second downward pointing leaf) begins to show signs that it needs light. Do it before it drops. I then cut the internode above this leaf. The new shoot is directed horizontally rather than upwards. Thus the stem gained strength when it was growing but still have the capability of being shaped and forced to branch.

On a tree in which I am trying to develop the crown into a dense and small leafed canopy (and not the trunk or primary branches thickening) I defoliate by cutting the leaves halfway through the petiole and cutting the stem back to the first downward pointing bud. The new shoots emerge and elongate and then I prune them back to the first suitable downard pointing leaf one that leaf has hardened (but not before). In a PJF grown in the tropics if you cut it before the lamina hardens the next shoot will push out elongate wnd skip the first leaf in the node. This is more evident in Ficus benjamina and Ficus virens than a section Malvanthera fig like Ficus rubiginosa (Port Jackson) but they will do it just the same.

cheers
Ash
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Great post. Very informative, Ash.

Cheers :)
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)

Return to “Tropical”