Podocarpus for Bonsai

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Podocarpus for Bonsai

Post by PeterW »

Not exactly a common species for bonsai but i think they have a lot of potential for us. The first one is a Podocarpus Macrophyllus that i have had for 12 months. It has been chopped and potted in a grow box and left to fend for itself (well almost). They seem to be very hardy and strike easily from cuttings. I went to Hervey Bay today for work and as usual, i cant resist, if i see a nursery that could possibly have anything suitable i stop in and take a look. There was a small section of sticks in pots that were claimed to be Bonsai. (The even had a PJ Fig that looked remarkably like a Morten Bay fig) I went through to the rest of the nursery and tucked away out of view from the rest of the plants i found 3 Podocarpus Totara. They are native to New Zealand and grow into a very big tree. They have the same beauitiful textured bark and trunk as the Macrophyllus. The leaf is quite a bit courser and smaller. The get a nice little red seed pod. I have been looking casually for a twin trunk possibility for so long now i cant remember when i started to look. One of them i wasnt interested in but the other two i am sure i will be able to something with them over time. They were $25 each! When i got a staff member to come and assist me, she took one look at them ad said....Oh dear...they are really old stock....if you want them you can have them for $15 each.
Mmmmm....ok i'll take em. I havent even had a good look at them yet but i am sure there is a small twin trunk tree in there in at least one of them!
Regards
Peter
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Podocarpus for Bonsai

Post by Steven »

I really like the nebari on the first one Peter! Please keep us updated as they progress.
I have a couple of Podocarpus at my office. One in the ground around 7 feet tall being trained as informal upright, the other full cascade in a pot ready to plant next to my waterfall. They are fun to work on and very responsive to training.
S.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

What type of Podocarpus are they Steven?
Peter
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Hi Peter,

Not sure what they are... perhaps you could tell me...
1.jpg
3.jpg
Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

They look lthe Macrophyllus to me Steven. Do they get a blueish seed pod?
Peter

Return to “Tropical”