Ficus as Literati? Yes or No

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

Ficus as Literati? Yes or No

Post by Ryan1979b »

I have found Fig at a house we are cleaning up, it was in poor condition in an old beaten up weathered ice cream container laying sideways in the yard. It looked in very poor heals but still alive. I have potted it & treated with Seasol & it is showing signs of recovery. It is a very tall fig with some movement in the trunk and has an alright base.

My question is, do you think that a fig can be styled as literati or is this too out of character for its natural form. I thought I would like to keep its height & tapper as it would suit this style. Or am I just kidding myself. I know I can style it this way but do you think it would look odd?

I will post an image when I get one soon.

Cheers all

Ryan
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Ficus as Literati? Yes or No

Post by Asus101 »

You have to ask yourself, "art or replication of nature?". Artistically there is no reason why you cant do such things, but it wouldn't fit if your goal was to replicate nature.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

You probably already know the answer. Since it is not a prized stock plant I suggest in this instance, you attempt it and see where it goes. If it fails, chop it back and you have lost nothin but a bit of growing time. Who knows you may come out with something unusual. I'd chop it though :)
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Ryan
Fig-e-rati.jpg
well I'm not gonna chuck it out!

Broad leaved evergreen Literati. Why not!

I once owned a Literati Olive, there are a few Privet in the style too (not that I like Privet - but that's a whole other story)
In Japan, Satsuki Azaleas are often shaped in the literati style. You won't find that in nature either.

Providing the image of the tree is convincing, do it :D

Cheers
Mojo Moyogi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

yes for sure leong has some great ones as for natural may be if done right they grow much different in the rain forrest than they do in a field
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Ryan1979b »

Ok all here is what I have, a very plain leggy unhealthy fig ;) but this is what I would like to achieve or something along these lines. Sorry about the dodgy Photoshop sketch but I think it will do for the moment.

I will definitely trim off the main large leader & bend the new growth from there. I think it will definitely be along arty path :)

might try & produce a more 3d canopy than shown on the Virt, but its a start.

DSC_5972.jpg
fig literati2.jpg

Any thoughts? or directions, virts are quiet welcome. I thought the trunk chop would be the easy option once it is healthy so like Mitchell said "if it fails chop it' :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tropical”