Semi cascade Bouganvillia

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Semi cascade Bouganvillia

Post by PeterW »

This is possibly my favourite little tree(today :D ). It is about 15 years old. It has had its tail broken off twice in the last 4 years. It is only 15cm from the soil surface to the top of the apex. It has a 25mm thick trunk with (i think) very gracefull movement. I have just cut it back quite heavily. I am going to put it into a smaller pot next year. I had plans to grow the cascading branch a lot longer but have had another change of heart and have decided to leave it around this length. It has a pink flower. I might get Penny to come up with a nice little pot for this one....Hmmmm....if i can sweet talk her into it maybe :D
Peter
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Semi cascade Bouganvillia

Post by Jon Chown »

This one has a very pleasing trunk line with very good taper. With a little more ramification and in leaf it will be a ripper.

I can see why you wouldn't go longer with the apex but you realy should put it in a semi-cascade pot I recon.

Jon
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Jon Chown wrote:This one has a very pleasing trunk line with very good taper. With a little more ramification and in leaf it will be a ripper.

I can see why you wouldn't go longer with the apex but you realy should put it in a semi-cascade pot I recon.

Jon
Thanks Jon. Yes its up for a pot change for sure. I put it in this pot the last time i broke the tail off, to speed up the growing process. It worked but in doing so i allowed the rest of the tree to also get out of hand, so its back to the bare trunk,almost. Its a lovely little tree in flower and i miss the form it had previously. Its a reminder that this hobby really is an ongoing thing, if we stop and take a breather, things get a bit out of hand and it takes time to get them back again.
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Good lines. I usually go with three node spacings on my Boug, when I prune.
I find it ramifies pretty quickly in summer.

Jon's after me to post photographs of it. Might get to that this weekend.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Marc »

Peter, I've got to ask, your grass, it's sooooo green, WTF is going on up there, My garden is on it's knees here in Melbourne...

:evil:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Marc wrote:Peter, I've got to ask, your grass, it's sooooo green, WTF is going on up there, My garden is on it's knees here in Melbourne...

:evil:
Well.....i think i live under a rain cloud! You guys should get plenty of water comming your wat soon.....as you no doubt know.........Melbourne is downhill from us so it generally takes a while to get to you! ;)
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

a great job on this one pete, although that straight section concerns me. i dont have any experience with bonsaing bougies and i do wonder how fine can you get and keep the ramification? this will determine its capacity of styling. :D
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

anttal63 wrote:a great job on this one pete, although that straight section concerns me. i dont have any experience with bonsaing bougies and i do wonder how fine can you get and keep the ramification? this will determine its capacity of styling. :D
Do you mean the straight section at the first bend? This one reached a stage where it needed to be cut back drastically cause i let it go a bit to long between TLC. They do require a fair bit of maintanance, but wee little ones like this, you would think i could have managed hey! :oops:
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

anttal63 wrote:a great job on this one pete, although that straight section concerns me. i dont have any experience with bonsaing bougies and i do wonder how fine can you get and keep the ramification? this will determine its capacity of styling. :D

oops:..... :oops:
Last edited by PeterW on February 6th, 2009, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

on second looks ( it pays to zoom in :roll: ) its not so bad and will smooth out down the track. what about ramification, is it a bit course or you can get it twiggy :?: :D
Last edited by anttal63 on February 6th, 2009, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

anttal63 wrote:on second looks ( it pays to zoom in :roll: ) its not so bad and will smooth out down the track. what about ramification, is it a bit course or you can get it twiggy :?: :D
Yes it will get good ramification. The trick is keeping it very compact though, not letting it get course and keeping the internodal length to a minimum. The leaf size gets very small. It is hard because it is so small, when it grows out to much, the picture looks to top heavy!
Peter

Return to “Tropical”