My Old Bougainvillea

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

My Old Bougainvillea

Post by Hector Johnson »

After Jon came over yesterday we took a few photos and he asked me to post them.

That in mind, I have a few threads to start. The first one is a bougainvillea that I bought as a stump a few years ago. It came out of a hedge down near Lismore and was estimated at 70-80 years old when it was lifted. I've been working it around a few degrees each time I repot it, to get an ideal front and taper. I also included a standard Coke can for size reference.

This is the tree before I got into wiring and branch redinement today.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: My Old Bougainvillea

Post by PeterW »

Nice one Hector, is that section at the base deadwood? Great taper. Should be a goodun in no time.
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

There is a scar down low on the right of the trunk. Boug wood is very soft and prone to rot. There's also some carving in the thick lead to the right.
There's a bit of an undercut on the right side too, where a root had been wrapped around the base of the trunk.

The wiring will be done today, spreading and thinning the foliage pads, taking each shoot back to two or three nodes, depending upon which way I want the future groiwth to go. You've just gotta love the thorns on these things. I've had holes in me everywhere from this tree.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

very interesting stock too hec good luck have fun and we cant wait to see what you do with it. :D
Regards Antonio:
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

I'm looking to stack 3 or 4 layers of foliage into the canopy (wiring the branches already there) and bulk up the number of shoots on it by tip pruning like crazy. Then stop watering it so it throws a lot more flowers.
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

my first post here guys.

im a bit of a lurker on forums these days having found this forum through bt a few monts back.
i like your bougy mate, you say it came from a hedge down in lismore, i live near lismore where abouts are you from its always nice to know where other bonsai enthusiests are located if locally.

cheers jarryd.

btw i will have to post some stuff up now on the forums i guess :twisted:
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

It's a really beaut bougs and will develop into a very nice tree. You are doing well with your styling. Looking forward to seeing it in full bloom.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

I bought it from a guy at Billienudgel. He said he got it from a gardening job at Lismore.

Return to “Tropical”