[ID] Can I Bonsai this?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

[ID] Can I Bonsai this?

Post by Laurie J »

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to prepare my backyard for the Bonsai madness. This big Conifer is partly where I'm looking at putting my benches. I have no idea how old it is, but it towers over me. I was going to get it taken away but then thought I could maybe Bonsai it.

Does anyone know what it is and if it's worth trying to Bonsai? Sorry about the phone pics, it was just a thought I had on the way to work this morning!

Thanks!

Laurie :)
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [ID] Can I Bonsai this?

Post by Eusto »

I'm not sure on exact species but that will make an amazing bonsai.

Lots of work getting it out of the ground, but with the size of that trunk it will be a great tree in a few years.
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

This appears to be Thuja orientalis. I doubt that it would make a decent bonsai as the foliage has very strong vertical growth habit. I do not think that it will shoot back on old wood.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi, it is a conifer, with white flowers. I would say it is a scale Juniper or Yew. Look up your bonsai species/genus book. But I know some would attackit, I wouldn't it has too large a trunk, and the roots will go down deep. You can trim it though in the ground. It would make a good shade tree for your benched bonsai. Good luck anyway. As I have suggested before, if it likes were it is, leave it as it is. I know some of our male bonsaiers, would think of up rooting it and this is done, but - you risk killing the tree. I suppose you could air layer the top half.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Its a Green Biota (Thuja occidentalis) and no you can't bonsai it for so many reasons!
Mike
Eusto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Eusto »

treeman wrote:Its a Green Biota (Thuja occidentalis) and no you can't bonsai it for so many reasons!
Can you explain why it can't be done or is it just very difficult?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Eusto wrote:
treeman wrote:Its a Green Biota (Thuja occidentalis) and no you can't bonsai it for so many reasons!
Well first you have to dig it out and removing such a established thing is very difficult....Many huge roots to cut and they don't like that!

So if you do that and manage to keep it alive, you have to remove 95% of its mass which may also kill it.

But if you do that and it's still alive you will need to reduce the cut branches to jin and shari with only a few green twigs left. (remember that these plants are mostly leafless just a couple of inches into the tree due to lack of light so you only have the green tips to work with. They will not back bud at all!

And if you get to that stage, you will probably find it is impossible to style because this variety has a gazzilion leaders and you will need to remove most of them which leaves you with a piddling amount left.

And so after all that you will look at the grotesque ugly thing and think..... :palm: What the hell is THAT doing at my place!
Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

treeman wrote:
Eusto wrote:
Well first you have to dig it out and removing such a established thing is very difficult....Many huge roots to cut and they don't like that!

So if you do that and manage to keep it alive, you have to remove 95% of its mass which may also kill it.

But if you do that and it's still alive you will need to reduce the cut branches to jin and shari with only a few green twigs left. (remember that these plants are mostly leafless just a couple of inches into the tree due to lack of light so you only have the green tips to work with. They will not back bud at all!

And if you get to that stage, you will probably find it is impossible to style because this variety has a gazzilion leaders and you will need to remove most of them which leaves you with a piddling amount left.

And so after all that you will look at the grotesque ugly thing and think..... :palm: What the hell is THAT doing at my place!
So I take it that we should proceed to dig and style?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Boics wrote:
Yeah sure why not? :tu2:
Mike
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

You can try it...nothing to loose, but it is a hard tree for a beginner...
I am sure you googled it...https://www.google.co.zm/search?q=thuja ... 00&bih=775
Here is one rather neglected one I took a picture of in SA.
DSC04395 (480x640).jpg
Before you dig it search for advise on digging large junipers...it is not an easy task to make it survive,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

treeman wrote:
Boics wrote:
Yeah sure why not? :tu2:

LOL :lol:

I think the effort you'd put into trying to bonsai this would be better spent trying to bonsai material that lends its self to bonsai! You can probably bonsai this thing if you are REALLY determined, but you gotta ask yourself if it's worth the effort.

If you choose to do it, I'd chop it right back to a number of trunks with different heights to target ending up with a clump style tree. If it bud's back I'd then ground layer it to establish a fine root structure close to the trunk. Then 2 years later Id undercut it and lift. You willing to wait 3 years for your benches? :o
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by Laurie J »

Thanks for all the replies. Andrew, cannot wait 3 years! Too hard basket. I've found it a good home at a friend's place. I think I'll give it to them to put in the ground next to another they have. Hopefully it survives being pulled from the ground and transported.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Lol . . . Thought not. In all honesty, I don't think it woulda made a good tree. Good decision mate!
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi there, knowledge is wonderful, never heard of the Thuja what ever. It would be wise to dig a wide trench around the tree firstly. Before lifting it. And transporting it? Best of luck
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

I know they work with these here in the US where they're natives, but it's largely because they're readily available, and some of the old ones have some nice deadwood like yamadori junipers. But they are a bit unruly, and not very easy. I don't think I would bother with one of these that size.
Cheers, Karl

Return to “Species Identification”