[ID] please.. and can they be saved?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Aaronjmusgrave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[ID] please.. and can they be saved?

Post by Aaronjmusgrave »

Hi everyone,

As my interest for bonsai is growing I seem to be seeking bonsai material in every thing I see, which brings me to these two potted plants at my place of work. Does anyone know what they are and if they are in fact suitable as bonsai material. They look somewhat like a Jade bonsai (crassula)??
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG
Now I am unsure on how often they are tended to. My guess is almost never to not at all, unfortunately. The soil is very dry and the plant looks weak and almost brittle. I was planning on rescuing them if I'm permitted, getting them back to strength and seeing how they may develop as bonsai. Now would my attempt be fruitless?? I am not so much interested in their overall potential as bonsai, but more the challenge and learning that may come with rehabilitating them to be bonsai, if that makes sense.

My knowledge is limited in bonsai and horticulture in general, so I appreciate any and all feedback/ advice.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: [ID] please.. and can they be saved?

Post by peterb »

Hi Aaron
From the photo it certainly looks like jade but couldn't really see the foliage close up so not 100% sure , but the main thing is there is green foliage so it's alive and there's a chance, you could start off by giving them a drink of seasol once a week because if it's jade they don't like to be overwatered and see if they respond :fc: . Good luck
Ps: bonsai is highly addictive you'll know thats it's really got you when the missus says " can you keep your eyes on the road" because you are looking into peoples gardens or at the trees and shrubs on the sides of the road to see potential stuff you could dig up :lol:
regards
peterb
Last edited by peterb on April 27th, 2015, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Aaron,

These look like Portulacaria Afra, there are some pretty impressive examples of them as bonsai.
Aaronjmusgrave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaronjmusgrave »

Thanks Peter and 'NAHamilton'!

If I can get them home tonight I'll do just that and get some better photos too. I was in a rush taking pictures and didn't want any of the workers outside our office thinking I'm a weirdo taking pictures of the old plants.

Yeah it is very addictive! I haven't been told to "shut up about those trees" yet, which is good. My fiancee is pretty great about it (so far). Haha
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Definitely P afra. Make nice bonsai. Grow like stink. A bit brittle. Make good bonsai if you can get your head pst them being succulents.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Hi Aaron. Like most succulents they will survive without water and care for a long time but will respond to good watering, feeding and fresh soil. They are very tough plants. If you do end up with them they should respond to good care pretty quickly and give you great hands on experience of looking after plants and learning bonsai principles. Good luck
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Definitely Jade, and they are the smaller leafed variety which is a bonus.

they can look stunning as Bonsai and can be wired and shaped like any other plant. Cuttings root from anything so if you cut back, whack them into soil and they will shoot.

Do some searching and you will find quite a few threads and pick of them

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Rhett H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: Redlands Bonsai Society , Sunshine Coast Bonsai Society

Post by Rhett H »

Hi Aaron
Definitely Portulacaria , great bonsai material , suggest you get an experienced artisan to help you with styling.
Cheers
Rhett
Aaronjmusgrave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaronjmusgrave »

So I couldn't take either of the plants, but I was allowed to take a few cuttings. I tried taking branches toward the top of the tree with a little bit of 'character' and have since let them dry out for a week. Here they are:
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
My plan was to segment the trunks in the 2 top cuttings and implement the sameish technique used in the 'fig fast grow method' by Steven. I can't remember where on Ausbonsai I read it, but I'm positive somebody has had success with it. The last 2 I will whack in a pot and let them do their thing.

Now as Jade root/grow like crazy (I've been informed everywhere I ask), will I need to remove majority of the foliage and branches before potting or will this not hinder them too much. My initial plan is just to get them to better health and have them grow for the time being.

Thank you for the advice guys, it is all appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

They should cope with the leaves that are on them so just put them in as they are.
You might need to be a bit careful with fast growth methods. Succulents like these prefer to be slightly drier and large amounts of fertiliser can build up toxins when you are not leaching the mix with frequent watering. By all means put some into larger pots and feed and water well to get maximum growth, just don't overdo it.

Rooting could be a bit slower as the weather cools but might still be warm enough where you are to get good response.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Species Identification”