[ID] Is this Ficus or what?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Dawson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

[ID] Is this Ficus or what?

Post by Dawson »

I collected "Senor" as a seedling about 3 and a half years ago in a local yard. There were no others of this species near it. I have searched the town and cannot find another. It's just not the type of tree native to Baja. If it is a fig,it's an import. There are only two native Ficus here and this is neither of them. It buds back on old wood and grows vigorously. The leaves are lanceolate,alternate. Their texture is leathery with a glossy sheen. Petioles are very short The bark is grey with patterning. The photo shows it in the process of growing out again,which it does with surprising alacrity. Natyrally I would love to identify it. After all I have had it awhile and I am fond of it. Hope springs eternal!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dawson on May 22nd, 2015, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [ID] Is this Ficus or what?

Post by shibui »

Hi Dawson,
It is hard to get a good look at the growing bud on your pictures. You probably already know that ficus have the new developing leaves in a terminal sheath. I think the leaves grow inside the sheath until they are full sized then they unroll already at their full size. When I look at the last picture I see the newest leaves are small which suggests the leaves start small and grow larger. I also cannot see a terminal sheath (but the photo is not clear) so I think it is not ficus.
I am not familiar with the trees from your area so can't even guess what it might be.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dawson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: [ID] Is this Ficus or what?

Post by Dawson »

Hello shibui:
Thanks very much for the input. You were right. There is no leaf sheath. Should have realized that all ficus have that. It was the latex exudate which made me think it was ficus. But there are lots of trees that bleed white. You have helped me narrow down a big search. Your gallery is great! The Crab reminded me so much of home. I am an expat Canadian here. Bookmarked your site too! Cheers.

Return to “Species Identification”