Can anyone ID?

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Can anyone ID?

Post by Mbunro »

noticed some vines coming over a fence while on a walk back in winter, had no leaves and massive wooden stumps pushing through the fence and i had assumed it was a grape vine and planned on taking some cuttings but never got around to it.

walked back past a few weeks ago though and going by the leaves and flowers its definatley not a grape vine. there where a whole bunch of self sown seedlings a couple meters from the fence so i plucked a few and and potted up when i got home.. only one survived and is doing well and all the others near that fence have since been cooked . but now just wondering what it is iv found myself growing and if there is any potential as a bonsai.

thanks
bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Can anyone ID?

Post by Mbunro »

never mind..
think i worked it out... orange trumpet vine.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Orange trumpet vine comes up as Pyrostegia venusta which appears to have different flowers.
I know these as tecoma. Have a look at Tecoma capensis and see if that looks like your plant. of course common names are notorious and your orange trumpet may be the WA name for the plant we know as tecoma. The ones I know sucker profusely and come up many metres away from the main trunk so maybe the small ones you picked were suckers growing from the roots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

hi shibui,

i think your right about it not being a trumpet vine after all but still unsure if tecoma is the answer either.
i have a large hedge out the front of my place (rental) which i am 90 percent sure is a tecoma. But this other vines flowers are probably 5x times the size, and dont appear in clumps like my hedge. also the hedge finished flowering about a month ago and appears to be evergreen where as the vine in question has only just got all its leaves back from winter and just starting to put out flowers.
mite take the mrs for a walk this afternoon and get some better photos of the plant as a whole though
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

just got a couple of photos showing my hedge and the vine i'm unsure about.
hedge has stopped flowering but managed to find a dried one to compare. dont know what good it will be though.

tried that new plantnet phone app and one of the suggestions was Campsis Radicans, which i think could be on the money but still not 100 percent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Species Identification”