I'd help..

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

I'd help..

Post by Mbunro »

I'm just about to put up a wall out the front and this little guy is going to have to go.... Can anyone maybe help me with an Id so I can figure out whether it's going to be possible to save it... Let me know if the Tapatalk pics are bad and Il upload the old fashioned wayImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: I'd help..

Post by Kevin »

I believe this is a species of Brunfelsia - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow plant.

An evergreen shrub which grows slowly to around 2-4m tall and 2m wide. The foliage is dense and medium green in colour. The young leaves are often purplish in cool weather. The flowers are very sweetly perfumed and appear from September to late November. When they first open they are a violet colour, fading to lavender blue and then white, with the three colours present on the bush at the same time.

This plant grows well in Sydney, Brisbane and the tropics, and warm, frost free areas in Melbourne and Perth.

As for a Bonsai - i cannot think of a reason not to give it a go.

Kevin
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Wow, that mite be a new high score!
I think your spot on, much appreciated.

Decent base on it so fingers crossed.Image

AlanBa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by AlanBa »

Brunfelsia is a pretty shrub, but if you let it form berries, just be aware they are very poisonous to dogs if they eat them
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'd never noticed the berries, but love it when mine flowers....however, now I know about the berries, it explains why I have them everywhere! It's an ongoing effort to try and keep them under control in my garden.

I have dug one up and put it in a pot, but not sure I want it anymore, especially since my daughter's dog will be coming to live here soon. Thanks for the info on the fact it's poisonous, AlanBa.
AlanBa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by AlanBa »

I think it is the same with many of the plants we grow in the garden or for Bonsai, we just need to be aware that some of them can be toxic to us or animals. We would be missing out on some beautiful plants if we avoided all the poisonous ones. EG Azaleas, Wisteria seeds, Oleanders. Just don't eat them or feed the prunings to the chooks etc. :shake: :tu:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I think it is the same with many of the plants we grow in the garden or for Bonsai, we just need to be aware that some of them can be toxic to us or animals. We would be missing out on some beautiful plants if we avoided all the poisonous ones. EG Azaleas, Wisteria seeds, Oleanders. Just don't eat them or feed the prunings to the chooks etc.
That's true, I guess at least now I'm aware of this one! Ta. :)
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

AlanBa wrote:Brunfelsia is a pretty shrub, but if you let it form berries, just be aware they are very poisonous to dogs if they eat them
Yeah good to know... The wall I'm building is actualpy the last step in getting the yard secure enough to hopefully get a dog over Christmas.

Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

For those that have more interest in identifying plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats, there is a good book, Poisonous2pets by Nicole O'Kane which describes plants and symptoms of toxicity.
You might be surprised what causes problems; grapes and macadamia nut kernels can be toxic to dogs, for example. Cats like to chew on Lilies, which can give them kidney disease.
Last edited by Redsonic on October 19th, 2017, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Species Identification”