[SOLVED] ID needed......is it an Acacia

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistermon, Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Identification needed......is it an Acacia

Post by dannynovo »

shibui wrote:Roger, I jumped in without having a real close look at the pics. I also have far less experience in id than you so lets go with flowers in spikes. Phylodes with (maybe) more than 1 vein. It looks like those are quite immature buds so flowering winter/spring. Endemic to Newcastle area? (could be a garden escape and naturalisation)

How about A. floribunda or A. longifolia? Its a long way out of my usual zone so just making suggestions at this stage.
Danny, how big do these trees grow? Is there lots or just a few there? We may have to wait for the flowers to open before getting closer.
Shibui,
was looking at the Acacia Floribunda that you mentioned and did some research ....Native shrub in NSW and VIC 3-5 Metre, i'm really now leaning towards thinking this is the Tree. the only thing i'm not sure of is the statement that the Phyllodes between 2 - 10 mm.....but looking at the pic and description .....i'd say you have IDéd it.
floribunda.jpg
Acacia_floribunda_077.jpg
Danny....

Question again is ......worth becoming Bonsai stock or not!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

The suitability of any acacia can only be told by trying. Some work well, while others are not so good, of those I've heard of.

Issues usually have related to
* how do they respond to pruning - where do they shoot new growth from
* how well do they take to repotting/root pruning
* how much do you get phyllode reduction in size and does that matter for the size of your tree
* if they produce juvenile ''leaves' after pruning, does that suit your styling - is it better or worse; do you like the mixture - there are no 'right' answers here.

So, if you are interested, give it a try and record what you do when, and keep the forum posted of progress.

Sorry I haven't been able to run it down through some keys. Life's just too busy right now.
Roger
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Roger,
:cool: all taken on board....there is no right or wrong
i have already started a written diary from when i aquired the tree's...
Being positive......I will wait till they have taken to pot life, then trial and error on the smaller of the 2 trees by pruning and wiring to try for a windblown look :fc: i have notices that the Phyllodes are on average only 3 - 6 cm long on the older sections, could be a good sign of natural size reduction :lost:
All going well :fc: i will set up the progression series in the Acacia section of the Native Forum......

thanks again for all your help

Danny
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey danny,

Somehow I missed this thread when you first posted, thanks for refering me to it. I had a look thru a local table of species and think it may be Acacia linifolia http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-b ... ~linifolia It is endemic to the hunter & the centre of its small range.

If the trees are still green & not dead then they have survived.... Acacia are one of the first to show signs of demise, usually within hours or days of collecting, now to get them out in full sun and let them really grow there hearts out for a year or 2.

Congratulations :worship: Any chance of a photo of the roots/soil you managed to get on this one. I over compensated with my example tree in this thread but its what came out of the ground intact and was being a tad lazy. Once its recovered I will be slowly reducing the size of the soil mass but ultimately dont plan to change the entire mix. Another part of my crazy native shift is using the local soils in some mixes.... with great results... maybe one day the aussie version of akadama will be around, we have enough clay & export everything else so why not dirt.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Matt,
thanks for responding, the 2 trees are responding well with no dieback apparent, didnt get any root pics at all :palm: ......

Danny.
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Well,
Seems i spoke too soon, come back after a week in Sydney....checked the trees out, 30% of the Phyllodes are near brown and come off easily....soil is relative dry (wife quickly disappeared when asked) :palm: .
so i will still push on regardless, with Matt's regime of full sunshine and plenty of feeding and fingers crossed :fc:

Danny
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannynovo »

Matt,
you were correct Acacia's are prone to dying as both Trees are kaput....not for a want of trying, right potting mix, sun .....just a certain lack of water :palm:
this just spurs me on to keep trying

Danny
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Danny,

Sorry to hear they went to the great bonsai garden....

Keep trying...

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Species Identification”