[ID] Native please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

[ID] Native please

Post by Isitangus »

Morning forumers, picked up this little guy and got so mystified by its bark and trunk I failed to ask what species it was!!! I'm guessing it's some sort of allocasurina (?). All I was told was to let it live it a pot of water - I have been doing that then taking it out for a few days. Once I get an ID I'm happy to check the wiki for care guides, but feel free to post tips if you like!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408839277.155296.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408839292.304318.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408839304.071502.jpg
Also should I be starting to remove multiple shoots growing from the one spot as pictured?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408839319.621830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408839332.273994.jpg
Thanks in advance gurus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on August 24th, 2014, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prefix
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: [ID] Native please

Post by Bougy Fan »

My guess is Casuarina torulosa
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Peterji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Peterji »

Looks like Allocasuarina torulosa - Forest Oak. Was previously known as Casuarina torulosa
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Ring the supplier and ask. I did this from our local native tree suppliers. They were very happy to help. It was a grevillea, I would not have guessed as it has privet like leaves not needles. One get's so excited about a new find, I can understand your problem. :mrgreen: As beginners, one can get confused with genus' and I have been several times, even with mis-labelling. For example Acer palmatum, or Japanese maple. There are heaps of different cultivars in that classification.

Cheers and good luck. :aussie:
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

Good luck, that's a fantastic trunk
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Hello Isitangus,

That is definitely Allocasuarina Torulosa. Remember that over summer, Allocas Torulosa needs a lot of water, especially if you have it in full sun... then add wind to that, and you can very quickly lose it. Generally in the wild, the tap root goes right down to the water table, or creek etc. Nice stock too, did you buy this from a bonsai nursery, looks like a nursery I know of. Best time to repot is March. Otherwise, if you miss that you can of course go for early spring. Never cut back Torulosa below the growth area, otherwise it can die back and you'll lose the beautiful trunk you have there. Don't wire the branches, it often kills the growth, best to clip and grow with this species, or just anchor branches with string. Try not to encourage moss at all, as once it gets hold it is very hard to remove from the delicate bark. It also encourages rot, so avoid the moss. Try to let the trunk be exposed to sun too. Careful when repotting, it is very easy to break off the beautiful bark. I wouldn't recommend taking off more than 30 - 35% of roots at repotting. Water HEAVILY or even leave in a shallow tray of water after repotting.
Last edited by Rory on November 1st, 2014, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Thanks buddyman, I have it sitting in a shallow tray of water but it still gets watered. It comes out of the tray if I feel like it's been wet for too long, although I never let it dry completely.
I haven't done any wiring as yet-few pegs on immature branches but that's it.
What sort of fert should it get? It's had some miracle grow and light dynamic lifter, how heavy can I feed them?
It came from bonsai south-I went in for something different but saw the trunk line and picked it up instantly.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yeah, I've brought a few Torulosa from there too.... quite a few. I just wish they would stock other varieties too. Yeah, I would have picked that up too, nice trunk. I am a sucker for any Casuarina, our home is like a Casuarina orphanage. I just fertilize with Osmocote Native Shrubs and Trees. It is slow release, so it wont hurt the tree. I don't believe in liquid fertilizer, because it isn't natural and you wouldn't really get this in nature anyway, just my personal preference. Was this the only one you bought? They were $30 for your size, and they have $12 sized ones too.

There are quite a few Casuarina varieties you can try if you like them.

Casuarina Distyla is a great variety to use, and also has a similar roughness to its bark, but it looks more like a crocodile and isn't as brittle, unike the corky segmented bark of Torulosa. A few experts say that Torulosa has the thinnest foliage, but I have a few Cunninghamiana that has just the same thin needle foliage and a tendancy to droop early. However, it doesn't naturally droop like Torulosa, and it does have a tendency to grow straighter than Torulosa.
Cunninghamiana is a definite one you should try. Very hardy, in fact I'd say the hardiest of all the Casuarina common varieties. It has beautiful bark as it ages.
Littoralis is another nice one to try. It gets nice segmented bark, and is much stronger than Torulosa.
Glauca is another beautiful species to try, but I think it only comes to glory when it is about 10 years old. It is such an underrated species.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Species Identification”