Not sure on species

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Not sure on species

Post by James93A »

Hi everyone,

I want to air layer and collect this from a relatives garden. Any idea on the species? Thought it may be a native but after doing some research cannot find anything similar.

Thanks,
James
IMG_20170222_172038.jpg
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: Not sure on species

Post by Kevin »

Camelia sasanqua is my :2c:
Not too sure on an air layer and very interested to know as well. I have 2 layers on a sasanqua, now for 12 months, last checked 2 months ago, lots of callus but no roots.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on February 22nd, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'll agree with Camellia.
Camellia transplants relatively easily. You can cut it right back and still get new shoots. Relatively slow growing so it may take a few years to fill out after you dig it.
They are routinely grown from cuttings so should layer reasonably well but I have not tried that.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Kevin wrote:Camelia sasanqua is my :2c:
Not too sure on an air layer and very interested to know as well. I have 2 layers on a sasanqua, now for 12 months, last checked 2 months ago, lots of callus but no roots.

Kevin
yes to sasanqua

Hi Kevin. I did an airlayer on my sasanqua about 6 months ago and when i saw this post i went outside to check it. Lots of chunky light brown callus and one 10mm root. I must say tho that i used peat moss mixed with vermiculite with a 6 inch pot around the 40mm branch and that during that period it did dry out a number of times :palm: from the sun hitting the pot (top was wrapped in plastic only, no alfoil). If i was to do it again i would use spagnum instead and wrap the top and bottom of the pot in plastic and the whole thing in alfoil. I've covered her back over with the peat and soaked in seasol. In a few weeks i'll check her again
ps. sasanqua are slower than japonica

Cheers
Max
Last edited by Max on February 22nd, 2017, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello James, Max,

I'll check mine in a day or two and report back.
I'm not confident though, i'm the same, :palm: too many 40 plus days and forgetting to water :palm:
Mine were sealed for about 8 - 9 months then open pot for about 3 - 4 months in cow manure soaked sphagnum.
In future i reckon i'll visit the nursery.
I do love their winter flowering, one of my favorite plants.
Just remembered, i took a photo of mine a few years ago.
DSC_0355.jpg
Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kevin on February 22nd, 2017, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by James93A »

Thanks so much for your detailed responses everyone. I'll do an air layer as well and keep you all posted :P one root from 6 months sounds very slow Max but what a hardy tree

What time of the year is good for digging these? I'm guessing winter?

James

Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Hi James yeah they reckon late autumn/winter, are yours still pushing buds out? myself, if the tree is healthy and i'm going to chop it down considerably i'd do it....but that's me...i did a buxus xmas time and it's still leafy and sprouting new buds...getting a good root ball and good after care is important i think and leaving enough foliage so it can still go about it's daily business :lost: let me know what your going to do, interested in which way you'll go :?

cheers
Max
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by James93A »

Hey Max, yeah it's still pushing those fruits? I haven't seen it flower yet I don't think. To be honest I've only just noticed it was a good candidate for bonsai this week. All growth looks hardened. Sounds great, got any pics of the buxus?

I'll have to get permission to dig first, problem is it's quite a large hedge blocking vision into the house so chances are I can't dig it out but I could air layer? Maybe I can convince to take it and replace with some Cypress hedger saplings :P

James

Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

hey James type in "Buxus help plz" and i'll try take a photo of the buds today sometime :? while i'm at it i'll take a photo of the air layer on the sasanqua and the one tiny root :lol: :lol: removed a layer off a cedar a few weeks back so i'll chuck that in for good measure :whistle: 8-) hopefully the photos come out the right way up :palm: or you might have to stand on your head to look at them :lol:

Cheers
Max
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by James93A »

no idea wrote:hey James type in "Buxus help plz" and i'll try take a photo of the buds today sometime :? while i'm at it i'll take a photo of the air layer on the sasanqua and the one tiny root :lol: :lol: removed a layer off a cedar a few weeks back so i'll chuck that in for good measure :whistle: 8-) hopefully the photos come out the right way up :palm: or you might have to stand on your head to look at them :lol:

Cheers
Max
Haha sounds good to me Max. Can't wait to see the sasanqua [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] a root is a root. Can't argue with a live tree. How thick was your air layer strip?

I'll check out the buxus thread now!!

Cheers,
James
James93A
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by James93A »

Aparrantly my emoticons don't work either. Pardon that

Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello James, Max,

Well, it's still 35 degrees in the shade here and a lot hotter out in the sun with the tree.
I removed one layer, incredible callus and no roots.
It's about 1mm from bridging at the bottom.
It's also at the bottom of the tree (if that makes a difference) and a very awkward location. I'll leave it alone now.
As both my layers were located on the lowest branches could be the reason for the slow response. :lost:
I'll check the other one in a few weeks, hopefully cooler weather too.
_DSC5862.jpg
_DSC5864.jpg
Kevin
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Max »

Hi Kevin, James
Kevin mine is also at the bottom of the tree so you might be on to something there, how thick is the branch? my diameter is 40 mm but that also might have something to do with it and when i ring barked it i cut about/over the same, still have about a 15/20mm gap between callus's (or should that be "calli" :lol: )

Please excuse the extremely poor photo's as i work in hospitality and my wages have just dropped :o :o :o
2017-02-16 14.34.35.jpg
James these are the buds on the Buxus dug at the wrong time of year, again excuse poor photo :palm:
2017-02-16 14.47.09.jpg
and this is the cedar layer i took off 2 weeks ago which i think is going well with new light green tips growing off the branches, this is a verigated one (yellow/green :aussie:)
2017-02-16 14.35.21.jpg
hopefully these pictures of my plants have given you a laugh and made you feel better about yours :lol: :lol:

regards
Max
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Max, That 'cedar' does not look like a cedar to me. Bit hard to see properly from the small photo (probably also due to pay rate reduction today?) but I'd guess it is a juniper of some sort.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

Hi Kevin,
I'm curious, did you use rooting hormone on that layer?
Cheers, Symon

Return to “Species Identification”