Privet? Potential dig

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Privet? Potential dig

Post by pebble »

Hi guys n girls
So down the side of my house I have this eye sore of a tree, that doesn't get much sun. all the gum trees around my house, block the sun and make it hard for anything to grow.
And so as it doesn't add or take away to the look of the property been thinking about digging it up and turning it into something worth looking at.

After seeing a few posts on Privet's lately, was thinking it was probably some type Privet.

So as I have never done a dig before thought I might ask everyone's advice on doing one?, how, when and anything to do to prepare for it? And if you thought this material was worth digging up?

Thanks dwayne
Last edited by pebble on March 19th, 2017, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im a total newb
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Privet? Potential dig

Post by shibui »

Personally I would not bother with this one. The large trunk is quite straight and has no taper - possibly reverse taper? so it will require a low trunk chop and quite a few years regrowing a new trunk, branches and apex.
Depending what the trunk is like near the smaller trunk it may produce something worthwhile by removing the larger trunk (maybe leave some and carve a jin?) and concentrating on the small trunk.

On the plus side, you would get a bit of fun and learning from collecting this, even if it only produces an ordinary bonsai result. Privet is an ideal species to start with because they are tough and it should survive no matter what you do to it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Post by pebble »

Thanks shibui, yeah think I might do something with it, and as you said would be good practice. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im a total newb
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

cut large trunk at ground level-- small at 4 to 5 branches up---leave in the ground for a year or so---collect

Return to “Species Identification”