[ID] Ficus spp.

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Ironbeaver
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[ID] Ficus spp.

Post by Ironbeaver »

Greetings from Canada!
I saved and rooted several trunk sections from a tree being discarded from the office I work in. It had been defoliated when I found it but I had assumed t was Ficus Benjamina, being a standard office plant. I managed to root several trunk sections, but when the leave came in they weren't quite what I was expecting. The bark also seems rougher than other examples I've seen. You guys seem to be the fig experts, so I thought I'd ask you!
Is it something other than Benjamina, or just an odd cultivar?
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG
Thanks in advance for your help,

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [ID] Ficus spp.

Post by shibui »

Fig leaf does not give an accurate ID. There are so many that are very similar species and many species vary in leaf shape over their natural range. Many species also have different juvenile and mature leaves which may be the leaves look a little different. My guess is that, as it grows back, new leaves will be the usual form. For accurate Id you'll need a combination of leaf, bark and fruit. You are unlikely to see fruit on your tree.
I agree that Benjamina is the most likely as it is most common as an indoor plant. Benjaminas tend to be less robust than some others so you should probably go easy on it until you see how it responds to pruning and repotting.
I think you'll have to be content with an ID of 'Probably Benjamina' unless someone knows more.

It is starting to get a bit cooler over here so assume it is beginning to warm up for spring over there. I guess your fig will need to be an indoor bonsai at your place.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ironbeaver
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Ironbeaver »

Thanks shibui, I do grow my figs indoors under lights here. Many advocate putting them outside in summer, but that isn't an option for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Ironbever

If you are still after further information try Jerry Meislik in the US.

He is a grower of figs indoors, same problem lots of snow.

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/

Tell him JC sent you from Australia.
JC

Return to “Species Identification”