ID help please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
soy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

ID help please

Post by soy »

Hi everyone,

I was recently gifted this tree via by one my partners family. I've put in the query on the species but haven't yet received a response so thought I would throw it out to the experts here for assistance.

Once I have in ID and/or any tips on the care of the species I can start to formulate a plan of attack.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers,
Luke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: ID help please

Post by robb63 »

Hi Soy, Its ficus and my guess is 'port Jackson', though it could be 'bengamina' which has a similar curled edge to
the leaf. Hard to say with figs but it does't matter
Main thing is its a ficus and appears in need of a repot but best not do that until late sep/oct. You could put it into a larger container now with fresh soil [slip pot]. I would just put it outside in full sun and water regularly keeping it damp not too wet.
Then repot in good soil when its warmer in late spring. You will find them very tough little trees that reward you for a bit of TLC
When its back to good vigorous health you can look at what direction to take it.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Luke, yes it is a Ficus. Possibly a Port Jackson Fig. Great advise by robb63 for Sydney.
Here in Melbourne we dont repot figs until Nov/Dec. they like to be done when its hot. Sept/Oct is a bit early for Melb.
Dont do anything with it now. Slip potting at this time will achieve nothing as they dont do much during winter also don't over water it unless it is inside with the heating on then it will need water. If out side it will only need watering once a week if that to once a fortnight at the moment until it warms up. Then weekly to every day fig like water, heat/sun and fertilizer.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
soy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by soy »

Thanks for the info gents.

Return to “Species Identification”