Un-anticipated aquisition, but what is it? ID please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Un-anticipated aquisition, but what is it? ID please

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi All,
After our big wet, which I had been waiting for, I went out to dig a few semi-urban yamadori at a soon to be bulldozed for housing development site. The ground there is like concrete and usually needs a pickaxe to make an impression. So after the rain I could get a spade in the ground and actually get soil up with the plant. After digging some Casuarinas (don't know what sort :whistle: ) and Pinus Radiata I came across this little plant. There were no others of that kind nearby. I know it's a bit of an ask from so few details, but does anyone know what it is? If it's too small to I.D. I'll post more pics once it's grown a bit and maybe even flowers. :fc: Thanks in anticipation, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Raging Bull on February 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Un-anticipated aquisition, but what is it?

Post by shibui »

I'm a long way from your area so don't know the local plants well but leaves and growth habit look very much like acacia to me. I would not even hazard a wild stab at the species from here.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Un-anticipated aquisition, but what is it? ID please

Post by melbrackstone »

It's a little small to make anything other than guesses, so yep, you might have to keep growing it and let us know when it flowers. Well done on saving some trees!

Return to “Species Identification”