Strange Growth I.D.

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Strange Growth I.D.

Post by boom64 »

Hi All ,
Thought I better find out what is happening here. Especially after the demise of K.C.R.s Privet. I have two thick fleshy growths on the trunk of a Kunzea I have. They are about six cm long and about four cm high. I did pick a bit of bark of once and there was green growth below. Have had the tree for several years and growth has always been good so never took much more notice ,regarded it as just another scar it acquired .The orange fungus appeared about two to three months ago. The tree is in a sunny position and the growth is pretty high up on trunk.
Just starting to think I might have been a little to complacent...….Thanks John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Strange Growth I.D.

Post by shibui »

This looks like the 'burls' that occur on some trees. I believe that it starts with some sort of damage or infection. I guess the tree grows extra wood to try to heal the problem but for some reason never stops that spot from growing. In most cases I think the trees remain healthy ad appear to live normal lives except with a growing bulge. Burls can get quite big on some trees.
The fungal fruits may be the cause or might just be a secondary infection that's got in through the abnormal growth. You could try a systemic fungicide to kill the fungi or just enjoy it as a new part of your bonsai.

If the burls continue to grow larger it might look a bit odd. You could leave them as a natural part of the tree, even if it does look a bit unusual or you could try cutting them off. Not sure whether amputation will work - it might just grow back again.
Interested to hear if anyone else has experience with this sort of growth.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I agree with shibui about the orange fungus. I don't know if it will harm the healthy wood, but the only way to treat it is with Systemic fungicide. The part of the fungus you see is just the "flowering" part. The main part of the fungus will be in the wood itself and it is impossible to tell how far the microscopic tendrils have invaded the plant.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Looks to me like an Agrobacterium infection followed by a secondary infection of a bracket fungus by the name of Pycnoporus coccineus.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Thanks Joel, that's another new name to me :reading: :reading: :reading: Burls have the most amazing grain when they are cut open and are highly sought after by woodworkers. Now that I know it is caused by a bacterium I wonder whether I can transfer if from one plant to another and grow my own burls :lost: :lost: :lost:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Thanks Shibui ,Raging Bull and Joel .
I will spray some Confidor and hope for the best in regards to the bracket fungus. The Burl I will just let it go....
If you want some Agrobacterium Shibui, am more than happy to take a sample and send it to you. Cheers John.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

boom64 wrote: If you want some Agrobacterium Shibui, am more than happy to take a sample and send it to you. Cheers John.

:lol:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

shibui wrote:Thanks Joel, that's another new name to me :reading: :reading: :reading: Burls have the most amazing grain when they are cut open and are highly sought after by woodworkers. Now that I know it is caused by a bacterium I wonder whether I can transfer if from one plant to another and grow my own burls :lost: :lost: :lost:
Definitely able to be transferred. Certainly some of the rosaceae are particularly susceptible. Using Agrobacterium was one of the original ways of introducing new genes to speed up plant breeding. There are more efficient ways now.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

What a wealth of talent there is here, thanks so much for sharing these little gems of info.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi John . If it is Crown Gall ,fire is a good option . Burn the potting mix too . At least don't reuse it .
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Just a quick update ,Tree now expired and all soil bagged and binned. Pot cleaned and on shed roof sunbaking.. A valuable lesson learnt ,gnarly and weathered yes but diseased no. Appreciate all the feedback especially sno and your advice. Cheers John.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Unfortunately I think you have made the right decision .i would be careful when repotting and pruning for a while . Sterilize the tools and potting bench between trees . It spreads through the soil and tools and trees are susceptible through cuts .https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/ ... -of-plants

Return to “Species Identification”