[ID] & information

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Kieranrulz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSA

[ID] & information

Post by Kieranrulz »

Hi,

At my work site there is a screen of trees that will be removed.
Some will be topped and many removed so I thought well maybe I could use some for learning rather than wasting.
A couple need to come out over the next week or so and some could possibly be there for 6-12 months before having to go.
I used a identification app and it suggested maybe Hitotsuba, lychee or mundu but I don’t think it is any of those.
If anyone could identify them that would be great so I can check what can be done in the time they have left.

Thanks and if you think doing anything is going to be a waste of time please let me know
Kieran
PNG image 12.png
PNG image 13.png
PNG image 14.png
PNG image 15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshiping - Hubert Reeves
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: [ID] & information

Post by melbrackstone »

looks a bit like Lychee to me..
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I was thinking Waterhousia floribunda
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

The leaves look rather large - better off with a known species suited to bonsai :2c:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

I think dansai is right. 2nd vote for waterhousia floribunda.

I think it could make an ok medium to large bonsai tree. I’ve often wondered if it would be good but I’m past anything heavy in my collection. It would grow a lot like Lilly Pilly.

Let us know how you go.

Squizzy
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Ive been playing around with Waterhousia for a while now. Definitely not the easiest species to work with. They just want to be big trees. I currently have one I dug after 3/4 years in the ground. Went from pencil thick to nearly 200mm diameter at a root spread at ground level of over 400mm. The tree on its own was nearly too heavy to lift on my own after all the soil and heavy roots removed (It was plucked from the ground with an excavator). So is the pot. Had to pot it in-situ.

The ones you have shown don't show much interest for Bonsai. They come straight out of the ground and go straight up without much taper. They will take a hard chop so you could cut them low and see what you get.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Kieranrulz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSA

Post by Kieranrulz »

Thanks for the I.D. and information.
I’m going to play with this even though it’s probably not worth it.
I’m keen to have something here at work to play with as there is a lot of down time on this job.
Not expecting to get a great tree but just learn and experiment to get some experience with different stuff and techniques.
I’ll take pictures and if anything comes of this I’ll make a progression post but I doubt it.

Thanks again
Kieran
Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshiping - Hubert Reeves

Return to “Species Identification”