Park ID 1

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Park ID 1

Post by Rustyck »

So there are an abundance of these where I live in Sydney, I think they are allocasuarina but thought I would check.

They throw out plenty of little ones that get constantly mowed down by the council.
They are all around my area (Balmain)

Was thinking of collecting some before the mower comes out but I was reading that some people have been unsuccessful collecting these - if my ID is correct

Also saw one other type, which had a natural semi cascade to it! Black Sheoak or drooping maybe?

ImageImage

It has thinner foliage than the others and softer as below:

Is it worth trying to collect any of the smaller ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Park ID 1

Post by Rory »

I assume that is council property. You'll be up for a horrendous fine. Avoid.

Take a trip to your local council nursery. If you're in Sydney, try Plants Plus at Castle Hill. They have an awesome selection of Casuarina.
They range in price from about $3 - $20 depending on the size you want. They have a lot of variety and it will have a better root system, it will survive, and will be a lot cheaper than a $10k fine.

:beer:
Last edited by Rory on September 6th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Rustyck »

Haha thanks Rory,
I was tempted to check out bonsai south for some small stock after seeing Steven and your posts on these. Truly impressive

dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

The small ones everywhere will probably be from suckers where the roots have been damaged by the mower. Very common occurrence.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Rustyck wrote:Haha thanks Rory,
I was tempted to check out bonsai south for some small stock after seeing Steven and your posts on these. Truly impressive

hahahah, I cleaned them out years ago my friend. They had good stock of torulosa. Ironically I gave away most of them about a year ago too :(
They may have started new casys but I doubt it - Many years ago Leon said he was not starting any more. At the time there wasn't much interest from casys I presume to warrant them. Now I would hope its a different issue. Bonsai World up on the central coast in Jilliby has a tonne of littoralis, 8 inch pots. Plants Plus will be a lot closer to you and last time I was there they had some very thick trunk stock. If you do a major trunk chop though on thick stock, hold off till about November. And be careful doing it on Torulosa/littoralis. Try to cut above the green, and do it in stages over years. I would actually always recommend to people to instead purchase thinner trunks where you can get your finer into the soil, as they will thicken really quickly if you ground grow them anyway, but on thinner stock the roots will be easier to fix in the long term.

As Dansai quite rightly points out, often suckers like these close to the parent are root suckers and useless for collecting.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

I have found that they also grow readily from seed (at least the ones I have collected down south) and they do grow quite quickly as Rory mentioned above if you give them room. If you can find trees that have woody "cones", collect a couple and put them in a paper bag until they drop their seeds, assuming you can beat the parrots.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Rory,
I'm curious why you say "often suckers like these close to the parent are root suckers and useless for collecting." Last May I dug a piece of Casuarina root with a couple of small trees growing from it, thinking they had grown from seed. Since then they have grown well in the pot I planted them in. I will be keeping them as a pair, and am bending them to eventually make a windswept style pair of trees, sort of like a small raft.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Raging Bull wrote:Hi Rory,
I'm curious why you say "often suckers like these close to the parent are root suckers and useless for collecting." Last May I dug a piece of Casuarina root with a couple of small trees growing from it, thinking they had grown from seed. Since then they have grown well in the pot I planted them in. I will be keeping them as a pair, and am bending them to eventually make a windswept style pair of trees, sort of like a small raft.
Cheers, Frank.
If the suckers you took had roots that's great, but I mean if there are suckers with no root themselves then your chances aren't the best. You would essentially have as much luck just cutting off a limb and sticking it in the ground if there aren't any roots. :yes:

Quite a few times I have attempted to dig beautiful stunted casys. After digging and digging, it becomes apparent its just one long sucker with no feeder roots attached to a nearby parent. :cry:
Last edited by Rory on September 7th, 2018, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

I have included this highly detailed and artistic interpretation of what I am referring to.
Casy Tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

"I have included this highly detailed and artistic interpretation of what I am referring to. I like it, I like it!! :lol:

Return to “Species Identification”