[ID] Rescued this guy today....

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

[ID] Rescued this guy today....

Post by Ryszil »

Hey guys,

I was out on site today and saw this little guy, I say rescued I hope I haven't killed it. I dont even know what it is hence the putting it here but they grow everywhere over here. I'm not sure if I have over
done it or if it is even bosaiable but it was going to get taken out by a truck anyway. The pot is only temporary I didn't want to cut anymore roots back I thought I'd let it try and spread out a bit. Eventually (pending its survival) I'll cut the top back a bit more but I didnt want to push it any further.
181015-1.jpeg
image2[5911].jpeg
image3[5912].jpeg
image4[5913].jpeg
image5[5914].jpeg[/attachment [attachment=2]image6[5915].jpeg
image8[5917].jpeg
image10[5919].jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: [ID] Rescued this guy today....

Post by Boics »

Some sort of Casuarina.
Rory might chime in with some specifics.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'll also go with Sheoak - Allocasuarina species but I'm not familiar with the WA species.
Eastern species are relatively easy to transplant, especially in the warmer months, so I have every confidence in this one surviving. They are also respond quite well to pruning and bonsai techniques. You should be able to find a few threads on this site showing developing Allocasuarina bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

shibui wrote:I'll also go with Sheoak - Allocasuarina species but I'm not familiar with the WA species.
Eastern species are relatively easy to transplant, especially in the warmer months, so I have every confidence in this one surviving. They are also respond quite well to pruning and bonsai techniques. You should be able to find a few threads on this site showing developing Allocasuarina bonsai.
Nailed it. Ditto to above.

Nice. I hope it comes good for you.
Perfect time of year to do it if you ask me.

Definitely dont cut any root off. Once Casuarina are healthy, kept in strong sun and fertilized regularly, you should be able to encourage roots fairly easily using river sand close to the trunk. So in future, if its a first transplant or digging, keep as much root as possible and over the years you then slowly cut back at each repotting, and encourage roots to grow over time from closer to the base.

In my travels to WA, I loved the Melaleucas and casuarinas I saw. Beautiful specimens. If there are many more of these in your area, then keep an eye out and acquire much more. Any that don’t stand out as amazing, add to a group planting.

I’m just an amateur and only familiar with the species I grow.
They make lovely Bonsai.

On the whole though, the general rule of thumb for casuarina is:
Don’t let the soil get bone dry.
Use a mix that drains well
Give lots of sun, and once the roots fill the pot most Casuarina will be thirsty.

Have fun.
Last edited by Rory on October 15th, 2018, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Ryszil »

Thanks for the response guys.

For the root cut I only cut about 50mm from the one thick root and left it just before a fine root. I would have preferred to try a different soil rather than potting mix but it’s my anniversary and the last thing I expected was to bring home a bonsai rather than flowers :oops: . Had to use what was on hand. I put a small bit of the bottom of an old bucket under it to try and get it to grow out. It’s easily supporting itself now.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same tree I’m seeing everywhere in which case this was gowing in hard clay like soil while I have seen plenty of others near the coast where it’s beach sand so I’m hoping it’s not too fussy. I managed to grab a few rocks from the same place to put together once (if) it survives.

It has too :fc: my wife like the idea of it being a bonsai to remember our anniversary with :tu:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Nice get. I hope it settles in for you. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Species Identification”