Casuarina id please

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Casuarina id please

Post by Keels »

Hi everyone,

I was out walking today in canberra and came upon 10 to 15 trees that look like Casuarina's. What caught my eye was the bark. It's very interesting. I've never seen bark like this on Casuarina's before then again i only really see the river sea-oak.

Does anyone have any in their collections?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Casuarina id please

Post by Ryceman3 »

I feel like it might be Allocasuarina Verticillata... those horizontal markings on the trunks with more juvenile bark bear resemblance to this species from my observations, although I’m not sure exactly if they are found around your neck of the woods, but I wouldn’t be surprised. I have a thread on them here which kinda shows what prompts me to say that!
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 08#p249623
Nice photos! :yes:
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Casuarina id please

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote:I feel like it might be Allocasuarina Verticillata... those horizontal markings on the trunks with more juvenile bark bear resemblance to this species from my observations, although I’m not sure exactly if they are found around your neck of the woods, but I wouldn’t be surprised. I have a thread on them here which kinda shows what prompts me to say that!
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 08#p249623
Nice photos! :yes:
Yeah i can see why you might suggest verticillata. I'll look see if thats what these are. Cheers

Return to “Species Identification”