[SOLVED] My first Bonsai (Christmas Present)

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: [ID] My first Bonsai (Christmas Present)

Post by sargeonline »

Hey Bonsai Dan!

Here is an image of the white spots on some of the leaves:
bonsai-white-spots.jpg
Should I be trimming these off? They're not lumpy like the 'gall' I have recently read about but not sure if I should be conerned about them or not. They seem to appear on the older leaves of the Bonsai tree, not the newer ones.

Any tips for trimming an Azalea ? I am thinking of giving it a trim, especially the top parts but given it will be my first trim I'd like to do it right :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Have a real close look at your trunk can you see any white spots or little grey/ blacks bugs on it?

Dan
********************************************************************************************************************************* :aussie:
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Daniel and welcome. Another Brissy boy eh ? If you are a Southsider the Bonsai Society would be closer, and if you are a Northsider Bimer would be the go. Have fun experimenting with your new tree - in a few years time you will look back at it and do this :palm: :lol: :lol:

Anyway have fun and by all means bring it inside to admire but as everyone else has stressed it is a tree and will not do well inside all the time.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Hi Daniel and a welcome to the forum from me too. Image

It's great to see that you're interested enough in your new Christmas bonsai tree to join the forum and learn more about it and bonsai.

A family member of mine and her husband were given a beautiful little Trident for Christmas, still wired and looking very healthy. I don't think they'll have the slightest interest in it as bonsai and it came with no instructions. They too thought it was an indoor plant. I felt like I was lecturing them when I gave a few hints on its care. (I should've treenapped it when everyone was at the table Image)

I can't help wondering how many dead Christmas present bonsais will be around in a few months. Hopefully at least a few who received them, like you, will have their interest in bonsai aroused.

Cheers,
Ron

(Just realised I joined on this day last year and around the same time I started typing the above reply.)
Last edited by Ron on December 27th, 2010, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sargeonline »

Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

I gave my tree a bit of a trim today and a haircut to get a bit of shape happening. Trimmed off all the leaves with white bits on it. Was nice and relaxing giving the tree a trim while watching the cricket (even though we're going so badly). Will post a picture tomorrow night. During my trimming I found a couple of white, almost see through little bugs and a little black bug. The gf was doing some research on Azaleas while I was trimming and finding bugs and they seemed to be a common Azalea bug. Also found black stuff which we found out was the bugs poop under some of the leaves and also found some white, very small but thick webbing, maybe where they were hiding or putting eggs/babies?

Have the tree resting outside now and is looking pretty snazzy and much more tree-like with it's new haircut.

@ Bougy Fan / Tony - I reside northside of Brisbane. Will have to google Bimer Bonsai and scope them out. Thanks for the heads up :)

@ Ron - Definitely interested in looking after my new Bonsai as best I can and finding everything I can about them. Can't wait to get some more and see the development of my Azalea, especially after giving it a trim today.
bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Yup thought so. looks like you have a double wammy. Spider mites and aphids. There's an oil based solution you can use I just can't remember the mix well thats if you didn't want to use a pesticide that is but you might have to use a pesticide because the leaves look pretty bad unfortunately.

Good luck and glad your enjoying it though :)

Dan
********************************************************************************************************************************* :aussie:
bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Ah yeah i just remembered there's a spray you can get its called Rogor. Get that you can get it from bruzzings or your local garden store and spray it every two weeks till its gone.

Dan

Edit: Forgot to mention do it late arvo as you don't want to burn the leaves by letting it sit in the sun.
Last edited by bonsai_Dan on December 28th, 2010, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sargeonline »

Hey guys,

I never got around to showing off the tree after I gave it a trim. So here is an attempt at something fancy but horribly unprofessional shot of my bonsai. I actually like the look of the back than my current 'front' shot (like the look of the branch structure).

Any ideas on what I should do with the tree next in terms of styling it?

Also looks like I have a little weed growing on the side (how did it get there?!) I was hoping it might be a seedling or something but I don't think it is :P
front.JPG
side1.JPG
back.JPG
side2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

ASt the moment just keep it happy and healthy :-)
Enjoy it as it is and once you have a few more and gain experience the tree will tell you what to do with it

For me I would be removing some of the branches ( the little thin ones) so you can see and enjoy the main branching and structure of the tree.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Species Identification”