[SOLVED] My first Bonsai (Christmas Present)

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[SOLVED] My first Bonsai (Christmas Present)

Post by sargeonline »

Hey there!

My awesome girlfriend bought me my first Bonsai tree for Christmas. I love it! Only problem is she forgot to find out the details like what sort of tree it is... Help in identifying it would be great. Would love to be able to look after it as best I can.

Pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =600983156

Let me know if you need me to take any other photos for more information.

Glad I've found this amazing Australian Bonsai forum. I'll be spending a lot of time here for sure!

Cheers,

Sarge

Solved
By Grant - Azalea "Sao-to-me
Last edited by Bougy Fan on January 28th, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved
Michael
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines-figs-junipers
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai.com

Re: [ID] My first Bonsai (Christmas Present)

Post by Michael »

gday sarge

nice to see ya here mate.looking at ur pics id say its an azalea which u must keep outdoors but not in the burning sun if possible mate.dappled shade they like and when it rains put them out in that aswell.

cheers mick :wave:
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

A bit more info for you.

It looks like it is Azalea "Sao-to-me"; a non flowering or only occasional flowering azalea. A quick grower with a lovely small leaf. Spray occasionally with Confidor or anything noted effective against Lace Bug.

Grant
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sargeonline »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Bit disappointed it's an outdoor plant. Will have to endeavor to find an indoor one as I'd really like one on my desk/room.

Do you think I should take the wiring off the trunk? It came like that and I read somewhere that once it starts digging into the trunk (as it appears to be doing) the wiring should come off. Just worried the trunk will limp if I do though.

Also thinking it could do with a good trim too :tu: I don't have any proper Bonsai tools, would some small household scissors be alright? Might be able to find some garden clippers somewhere too.
Fish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum, Ficus, Elm

Post by Fish »

Sharp snips ok to use, I would also check the wire on the tree, it looks a little tight and the tree is growing through it. If it is, might want to remove it check for scars and rewire the other direction if scarred.
Enjoy the bonsai mate.

Fish
I DONT SUFFER FROM INSANITY, I RELISH IN EVERY MOMENT OF IT
狂信的な盆栽
BGM1971
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by BGM1971 »

Hi Mate
Welcome to Bonsai Addicts Anonymous :wave:

Azalea sound right to me. One thing I did notice on you photo's is that the wire looks like it is cutting into the tree badly. :palm:
I'd be removing it ASAP. Wire isn't meant to be on them forever. I only try to leave it on for a maximum of three months.
It's a problem I see a lot when I'm looking through my local Bonsai Nursery.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy you new addiction.

Brad
(BGM1971)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

sargeonline wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Bit disappointed it's an outdoor plant. Will have to endeavor to find an indoor one as I'd really like one on my desk/room.

Do you think I should take the wiring off the trunk? It came like that and I read somewhere that once it starts digging into the trunk (as it appears to be doing) the wiring should come off. Just worried the trunk will limp if I do though.

Also thinking it could do with a good trim too :tu: I don't have any proper Bonsai tools, would some small household scissors be alright? Might be able to find some garden clippers somewhere too.

If you want to have trees inside, then you will struggle a bit. Ficus or any of the tropical trees are the go.
You can bring trees inside for a short time to admire if you need
Get 6 or so, and then rotate them in for 2- 3 days then put pack out to recover :-)

Ken
Last edited by Bougy Fan on December 27th, 2010, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sargeonline »

Hey guys, just added 4 new photos after removing the wiring from the trunk (just used some small wire cutters, didn't touch the trunk with it). Seems like it had been on there for quite some time. Should I be worried about how deep it has scarred it? Should I rewire it or just let it be for now?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 359813945e

Also, the wiring obviously has gone down into the soil. I've just left it in there for now (see last few pics). Should I drill down into the soil and remove all the wiring completely or is it ok now just attached. Actually I think it might be attached to the pot itself. Just took an extra snap underneath the pot so the wiring probably isn't touching the tree now at all(?)

@ kcpoole great idea about getting 6 or so Bonsai trees. I'm sure I will have that many eventually and rotating them inside would be a great idea. Maybe I'll just have to get a 'real' indoor plant for my room. Always been fascinated by Bonsai trees and glad I finally have my first one I'm sure of many :)
Last edited by sargeonline on December 27th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

All the advice you are getting is fine, except one, the wire needs to be on as long as necessary. I have just taken the wire of, a Juniperus shimpaku that has been on 3 years,This is the second time of doing so.
Wire is there to put the branches,and trunk in some cases, where you need them. Wiring Azaleas is one of the trickiest of all plants as the wood is brittle and snaps when you look at them the wrong way.

Now I would like to ask a question so that you can get the right information. Where in this big Island of ours do you live?. Because micro climates come into play for the right time for certain functions that need to be performed.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

sargeonline wrote:Hey guys, just added 4 new photos after removing the wiring from the trunk (just used some small wire cutters, didn't touch the trunk with it). Seems like it had been on there for quite some time. Should I be worried about how deep it has scarred it? Should I rewire it or just let it be for now?

Also, the wiring obviously has gone down into the soil. I've just left it in there for now (see last few pics). Should I drill down into the soil and remove all the wiring completely or is it ok now just attached. Actually I think it might be attached to the pot itself. Just took an extra snap underneath the pot so the wiring probably isn't touching the tree now at all(?)

@ kcpoole great idea about getting 6 or so Bonsai trees. I'm sure I will have that many eventually and rotating them inside would be a great idea. Maybe I'll just have to get a 'real' indoor plant for my room. Always been fascinated by Bonsai trees and glad I finally have my first one I'm sure of many :)
G'day Sarge. There is not a lot you can do about the scarring so no point worrying about it now. I would let the tree rest and feed it and water it until you develop a plan for the tree. The tree will grow out the scarring but by the depth of it that could take a while
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
sargeonline
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sargeonline »

Pup wrote:All the advice you are getting is fine, except one, the wire needs to be on as long as necessary. I have just taken the wire of, a Juniperus shimpaku that has been on 3 years,This is the second time of doing so.
Wire is there to put the branches,and trunk in some cases, where you need them. Wiring Azaleas is one of the trickiest of all plants as the wood is brittle and snaps when you look at them the wrong way.

Now I would like to ask a question so that you can get the right information. Where in this big Island of ours do you live?. Because micro climates come into play for the right time for certain functions that need to be performed.

Cheers ;) Pup
I live in Brisbane. I just took the wiring following previous advice and some other things I'd read. Did you have a look at my latest pictures? The wiring had cut pretty deep into the trunk. Do you think I should re-wire it though?
Fish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum, Ficus, Elm

Post by Fish »

just give it a kiss every night and in time she will grow out the wire scars.
I DONT SUFFER FROM INSANITY, I RELISH IN EVERY MOMENT OF IT
狂信的な盆栽
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

My comment was mainly that you leave it on a maximum of 3 months. It is one of those variables, like when do you take the wire off, yesterday before the wire cuts in.

Now as for wiring again has the tree moved in any way, away from its original shape. If not there is no need to wire again. The scars as you have been told will take a great deal of time to dissapear.

As for having them indoors :( if you look around all those lovely trees. All out doors get into a club and they will help you in more ways than one.

Like many trees so you can have one inside for a day or two. Good luck and welcome to the affliction called Bonsai.

Also a big welcome to AusBonsai :tu: : :hooray:
Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Hey another brissy guy welcome :tu2: Joining a club's a good idea Hopefully I'll be joining one next month in Mount Gravatt The bonsai society of Queensland as I'm new to. I've had my plants for a few months though just never got around to joining. I've been reading a lot and that's probably the best tip I can offer especially for the azalea as there a little temperamental i think (well mine is anyway). Especially when it comes to watering, sun, shade and pruning. That's not yellow spots on your leaf's are they? Or is that just glare?

Dan
********************************************************************************************************************************* :aussie:
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Hey Sarge. It may be an idea to change your location in your profile so the question of location doesn't come up again.
Regards

Taffy.

Return to “Species Identification”