[SOLVED] please!

Forum for requesting identification of unknown species. Please read the Sticky on requirements prior to posting.
chelseafc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[SOLVED] please!

Post by chelseafc »

Hey,
I got my little bonsai as a Christmas present, so I don't have any information about it. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to identify the species for me. I'm also guessing its fairly young, maybe only a few years old.

Also, are you able to tell me if the little brown bits at the base of the 'limbs' are normal, or if it means my bonsai's dying :(

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

Solved
By Pup - Juniperus squamata prostrata
Last edited by Bougy Fan on March 14th, 2011, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved
dragon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: [ID] please!

Post by dragon »

hi chelseafc
the tree you got given looks to be a juniper squagmatta and young, yes i would geuss it at about 2-3 years old.
cheers dean
PS i could be wrong on the last name but it is a juniper also do you have the tree outside, and how often do you water it
as it is a shallow pot it may dry to quick and the brown bits at bottom of branches is only dead leaves not much
to worry about just put it outside in the sun
Last edited by dragon on March 10th, 2011, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

:gday: ugh fc not my favorite team. :palm: :shake:

Your tree is a Juniperus squamata prostrata. Possibly 1to2 year old cutting, the brown bits as you referred to are old needles.

As they are referred to as ever green, they do however have to shed old needles, and these are the ones you see. They need to be removed, then the new needles need to be pinched as in the new growth tips.

If this is not done, the tree will get long and leggy and go out of shape, and become ugly. As Dean has said, it needs to kept in the sun for a minimum of 4 hours per day preferably morning sun.

Your tree would be better referred to as a Penjing, as it is in the Chinese style, not the Japanese style.

Cheers Pup :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
chelseafc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by chelseafc »

Thank you for both your answers!!

I keep it inside, cause I live in a uni dorm, but I do take it outside into the sun a day or so a week while I study for a few hours. I should try and do that more often then :)

I water it so that the soil doesn't get completely parched, and I put a little bit in the fisherman's pool too, which disappears, but doesn't go out the drain hole, so I'm assuming it's being absorbed. As a general thing, I'd say I water it every 2-3 days or so. As I said, depending on the soil etc.
chelseafc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by chelseafc »

Also,at the risk of looking like a bonsai noob (well, I am), which ones am I supposed to pinch?? I read some articles on how to pinch, but I'm not sure which ones should be left and which can go
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

You pinch the new growth that extends outward. This serves to create new growth further inside the tree creating a more compact look.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Your Penjing should be inside 1 out of 3 days, that is inside 1 day, outside 3 days, or inside 2 days, outside 6 days, not to be inside more than 3 days, watering 2-3 days is fine inside but more often outside.

Regards Mick
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick

Return to “Species Identification”